Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Virtual sex is a form of psychosexual behavior where two or more people gather together via some form of communications equipment to arouse each other by transmitting sexually explicit messages. Virtual sex describes the phenomenon, no matter the communications equipment used.
- Phone sex is virtual sex spoken over the telephone.
- Cybersex is virtual sex typed over the Internet, including IRC, e-mail, instant messaging, chat rooms, webcam, role-playing games, etc.
- Sexting is virtual sex sent via mobile phone network text messaging. The advent of cell phones with built-in digital cameras has undoubtedly added new dimensions to these activities.
These terms are listed chronologically and continuously evolve as technologies and methods of communication change.
Increases in Internet connectivity, bandwidth availability, and the proliferation of webcams have also had implications for virtual sex enthusiasts. It's increasingly common for these activities to include the exchange of pictures or motion video. There are companies which allow paying customers to actually watch people have live sex or masturbate and at the same time allow themselves to be watched as well. Recently devices have been introduced and marketed to allow remote controlled stimulation. Thus the distinctions between real and virtual sex may become increasingly blurred.
- Deuel, Nancy R. 1996. Our passionate response to virtual reality. Computer-mediated Communication: Linguistic, Social, and Cross-Cultural Perspectives, p. 129-146. Ed. by Susan C. Herring. John Benjamins Publishing Company, Philadelphia.
See also Edit
- Cyberwatch: Online Dating and Cybersex
- Violet Blue: bluetooth vibrator, activated by text/SMS
- Cyborgasms: Cybersex Amongst Multiple-selves and Cyborgs in the Narrow-bandwidth Space of American Online Chat Rooms - 1996 dissertation
- FUFME, Inc. The ultimate remote sex solution. (1999 parody website, mirrored from now defunct www.fufme.com)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|