Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
There are a number of variables that have been identified to affect therapist selection.
- Choice of approach
- Client attitudes
- Fee for service and cost
- Therapist characteristics
- Treatment options
- Albee, G. W. (1999). Prevention, not treatment, is the only hope: Counselling Psychology Quarterly Vol 12(2) Jun 1999, 133-146.
- Alexander, L. B., Barber, J. P., Luborsky, L., Crits-Christoph, P., & et al. (1993). On what bases do patients choose their therapists? : Journal of Psychotherapy Practice & Research Vol 2(2) Spr 1993, 135-146.
- Aycock, T. J. (1995). Relationship of males' adherence to masculine role norms and emotional expressiveness to preferences for therapeutic style and therapists' gender. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Baer, J. S., Ball, S. A., Campbell, B. K., Miele, G. M., Schoener, E. P., & Tracy, K. (2007). Training and fidelity monitoring of behavioral interventions in multi-site addictions research: Drug and Alcohol Dependence Vol 87(2-3) Mar 2007, 107-118.
- Belaire, C., & Young, J. S. (2000). Influences of spirituality on counselor selection: Counseling and Values Vol 44(3) Apr 2000, 189-197.
- Benoit, J. C. (1975). Objective research in psychotherapy: Recent data from the English-language literature: Annales Medico-Psychologiques Vol 2(2) Jul 1975, 267-312.
- Beutler, L. E., Bongar, B., & Shurkin, J. N. (1998). A consumer's guide to psychotherapy. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Boswood, B. (1988). Thoughts on the Selection of Candidates for Professional Training in Group Analysis: Group Analysis Vol 21(4) Dec 1988, 345-352.
- Carey, S. M. (2001). Alternative and allopathic medicine: What influences patients' choice of health care practitioner? Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Chen, F. M., Fryer, G. E., Jr., Phillips, R. L., Jr., Wilson, E., & Pathman, D. E. (2005). Patients' Beliefs About Racism, Preferences for Physician Race, and Satisfaction With Care: Annals of Family Medicine Vol 3(2) Mar-Apr 2005, 138-143.
- Crago, H. (2003). Who should be a family therapist? A personal view of selection for training: ANZJFT Australian and New Zealand Journal of Family Therapy Vol 24(3) Sep 2003, 141-149.
- Dobrez, D. G., Melfi, C. A., Croghan, T. W., Kniesner, T. J., & Obenchain, R. L. (2000). Antidepressant treatment for depression: Total charges and therapy duration: Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics Vol 3(4) Dec 2000, 187-197.
- Donovan, D. M., Carroll, K. M., Kadden, R. M., DiClemente, C. C., & Rounsaville, B. J. (2003). Therapies for matching: Selection, development, implementation, and costs. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Drummond, C. P. (1975). Therapist selection as a function of therapist experience, dress, and whether therapy is to be for subject or subject's child: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Druss, B. G., & Rosenheck, R. A. (1999). Association between use of unconventional therapies and conventional medical services: JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association Vol 282(7) Aug 1999, 651-656.
- Ellis, A. (1995). The cost of psychotherapy: The impact of money: Psychotherapy in Private Practice Vol 14(2) 1995, 19-22.
- Fay, A., & Lazarus, A. A. (1993). On necessity and sufficiency in psychotherapy: Psychotherapy in Private Practice Vol 12(4) 1993, 33-39.
- Friedman, E. S., Thase, M. E., Kornblith, S. J., Wisniewski, S. R., Briggs, M. M., Rush, A. J., et al. (2004). The Implementation of Cognitive Therapy in STAR*D: Cognitive Therapy and Research Vol 28(6) Dec 2004, 819-833.
- Gandhi, I. G., Parle, J. V., Greenfield, S. M., & Gould, S. (1997). A qualitative investigation into why patients change their GPs: Family Practice Vol 14(1) Feb 1997, 49-57.
- Gilbert, L. A., & Kearney, L. K. (2006). The Psychotherapeutic Relationship as a Positive and Powerful Resource for Girls and Women. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Gomes, S. L. (2000). Factors affecting Asian Indian selection of psychotherapy: Therapist ethnicity and therapy modality. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Greenberg, H. R. (1982). Hanging in: What you should know about psychotherapy. New York, NY: Scholastic.
- Haag, A., & Lamparter, U. (1996). Dichotomy and duplicity revisited: Psychotherapie Psychosomatik Medizinische Psychologie Vol 46(6) Jun 1996, 241-244.
- Hurd, M. J. (1997). Effective therapy. New York, NY: Dunhill Publishing Co.
- Jean, Y. A. (2004). Inclusive intake screening: Shaping medical problems into specialist-appropriate cases: Sociology of Health & Illness Vol 26(4) May 2004, 385-410.
- Kaufman, J. S., Carlozzi, A. F., Boswell, D. L., Barnes, L. L. B., Wheeler-Scruggs, K., & Levy, P. A. (1997). Factors influencing therapist selection among gays, lesbians and bisexuals: Counselling Psychology Quarterly Vol 10(3) Sep 1997, 287-297.
- Klar, H., & Frances, A. (1984). Countertransference in focal psychotherapy: Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics Vol 41(1) 1984, 38-41.
- Kluft, R. P. (1989). Treating the patient who had been sexually exploited by a previous therapist: Psychiatric Clinics of North America Vol 12(2) Jun 1989, 483-500.
- Knapp, S. (1997). Introduction to the client handouts. Sarasota, FL: Professional Resource Press/Professional Resource Exchange.
- Kopp, W. (1994). Can women with eating disorders benefit from a male therapist? Atlantic Highlands, NJ: Athlone Press.
- Kremer, T. G. (2001). Managed mental health care: The client's perspective. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Laungani, P. (1999). Danger! Psychotherapists at work: Counselling Psychology Quarterly Vol 12(2) Jun 1999, 117-131.
- Liddle, B. J. (1997). Gay and lesbian clients' selection of therapists and utilization of therapy: Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training Vol 34(1) Spr 1997, 11-18.
- Lindenauer, G. G. (1968). The client as a potential therapist: Journal of Emotional Education 8(4) 1968, 192-201.
- Lo Pinto, L.-A. (2000). Effects of gender, attractiveness, and disorder on perceptions of therapists. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Maddock, J. W. (1990). Promoting healthy family sexuality: Journal of Family Psychotherapy Vol 1(1) 1990, 49-63.
- Namer, A. (1968). An experiment with children: Group psychotherapy through activity: Revista de Psiquiatria y Psicologia Medica 8(6) 1968, 328-337.
- Newman, C. F., & Beck, J. S. (2008). Selecting, training, and supervising therapists. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Nielsen, B., Nielsen, A. S., & Wraae, O. (1998). Patient-treatment matching improves compliance of alcoholics in outpatient treatment: Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease Vol 186(12) Dec 1998, 752-760.
- No authorship, i. (1991). Review of Working with Sex Offenders: Guidelines for Therapist Selection: PsycCRITIQUES Vol 36 (4), Apr, 1991.
- Norcross, J. C., Strausser, D. J., & Faltus, F. J. (1988). The therapist's therapist: American Journal of Psychotherapy Vol 42(1) Jan 1988, 53-66.
- O'Connell, M. A., Leberg, E., & Donaldson, C. R. (1990). Working with sex offenders: Guidelines for therapist selection. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Palmer, S. (1999). Letting the baby out with the bathwater: Reflections on counselling, counselling psychology and psychotherapy in Britain: Counselling Psychology Quarterly Vol 12(2) Jun 1999, 159-168.
- Parkinson, J. (2003). Review of How to choose a psychotherapist: British Journal of Psychotherapy Vol 20(2) Win 2003, 244-247.
- Pepinsky, H. B. (1979). Review of The other man, the other woman: Understanding and coping with extramarital affairs; How to choose and use the right therapist for you; and Crisis: Psychological first aid for recovery and growth: PsycCRITIQUES Vol 24 (3), Mar, 1979.
- Pileggi, C., Carbone, V., Pavia, M., & Angelillo, I. F. (2004). Patients' perceptions and related behaviours on role of primary care physician in Italy: European Journal of Public Health Vol 14(3) Sep 2004, 258-260.
- Polenz, D. D., & Verdi, P. (1977). Differences in the therapeutic functioning of paraprofessionals with varying lengths of experience: Journal of Clinical Psychology Vol 33(4) Oct 1977, 1115-1119.
- Roberts, F. M. (1997). The therapy sourcebook. Los Angeles, CA ; Lincolnwood, IL: Lowell House; Contemporary Books/NTC Contemporary Publishing Co.
- Ruben, D. H. (1993). Selecting therapies and therapists. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers/Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Rubin, S. S., & Amir, D. (2000). When expertise and ethics diverge: Lay and professional evaluation of psychotherapists in Israel: Ethics & Behavior Vol 10(4) 2000, 375-391.
- Samuels, A. H., Allnutt, S., & Tan, E.-K. (2000). Pursuit of the perfect mother: An unusual case of stalking: Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry Vol 34(1) Feb 2000, 164-166.
- Sanua, V. D. (1999). Danger in psychotropic drugs, danger in psychotherapy! Is there an alternative? : Counselling Psychology Quarterly Vol 12(2) Jun 1999, 147-157.
- Sharma, P. (1995). Asian Indian attitudes toward seeking professional psychological help. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Sloves, R. E., & Peterlin, K. B. (1994). Time-limited play therapy. Oxford, England: John Wiley & Sons.
- Sobell, M. B., Sobell, L. C., Bogardis, J., Leo, G. I., & et al. (1992). Problem drinkers' perceptions of whether treatment goals should be self-selected or therapist-selected: Behavior Therapy Vol 23(1) Win 1992, 43-52.
- Szecsody, I. (2003). To become or be made a psychoanalyst: Scandinavian Psychoanalytic Review Vol 26(2) 2003, 141-150.
- Tillett, R. (1996). Psychotherapy assessment and treatment selection: British Journal of Psychiatry Vol 168(1) Jan 1996, 10-15.
- Varvin, S. (2003). Which patients should avoid psychoanalysis, and which professionals should avoid psychoanalytic training? A critical evaluation: Scandinavian Psychoanalytic Review Vol 26(2) 2003, 109-122.
- Wagner, U. (1995). Developing a model for finding a therapist: Clients' reactions to the process of finding a therapist. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Waldroop, J. A., & Hurst, J. C. (1982). The psychotherapist and one-way intimacy: Psychotherapy: Theory, Research & Practice Vol 19(1) Spr 1982, 48-53.
- Wood, J. C. (2007). Getting help: The complete & authoritative guide to self-assessment & treatment of mental health problems. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
- Yeomans, J. (1987). Getting there and hanging in: The story of WCREC, a women's service collective: Women & Therapy Vol 6(1-2) Spr-Sum 1987, 293-303.