Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale (TMAS) is a paper and pencil measure of trait anxiety.
Responses of 871 adults to the Adult Manifest Anxiety Scale–Adult version (AMAS-A) were factor analyzed using the method of principal axis factoring with promax rotation. Factor analysis yielded a four-factor solution: three anxiety factors (Worry/Oversensitivity, Stress, and Physiological Anxiety) and a Lie factor. The AMAS-A’s three factor structure of anxiety is consistent with multidimensional theories of anxiety and lends support to the validity of the interpretation of the AMAS-A scores as reflecting anxiety in several dimensions. Temporal stability and convergent and discriminant validity of the AMAS-A test scores were also examined in a sample of 76 young and middleaged adults. Results indicated good to excellent test-retest reliability for the AMAS-A scores over a 2- to 3-week interval. Evidence for convergent and discriminant validity of the AMAS-Ascores as measures of various aspects of anxiety was found. Implications of the findings are discussed..
The TMAS is comapared alonsgside the Edwards Personal Preference Schedule in the manual of that measure.
It is not currently published by any group, however it is floating around and tt can be taken online.
- ↑ Lowe, P., (2004) Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol. 64, No. 4, 661-681
- Bedford, A., McIver, D., & Pearson, P. R. (1978). A further test of Foulds' personality and personal illness differentiae in a psychiatric group: Psychological Medicine Vol 8(3) Aug 1978, 467-470.
- Brackbill, G., & Little, K. B. (1954). Mmpi Correlates of the Taylor Scale of Manifest Anxiety: Journal of Consulting Psychology Vol 18(6) Dec 1954, 433-436.
- Brady, J. P. (1961). Comment on "Anxiety and Behavior Scientists' Behavior": American Psychologist Vol 16(9) Sep 1961, 602.
- Buss, A. H., & Gerjuoy, I. R. (1958). Verbal conditioning and anxiety: The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology Vol 57(2) Sep 1958, 249-250.
- Chapman, L. J., & Campbell, D. T. (1959). Absence of acquiescence response set in the Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale: Journal of Consulting Psychology Vol 23(5) Oct 1959, 465-466.
- Correll, R. E. (1985). Relationship of anxiety and depression scores to WAIS performance of psychiatric patients: Psychological Reports Vol 57(1) Aug 1985, 295-301.
- Crumpton, E., Grayson, H. M., & Keith-Lee, P. (1967). What Kinds of Anxiety Does the Taylor Ma Measure? : Journal of Consulting Psychology Vol 31(3) Jun 1967, 324-326.
- De, B., & Singh, R. (1972). A cross-cultural study of the Maudsley Personality Inventory and the Manifest Anxiety scale: Behaviorometric Vol 2(1) 1972, 40-44.
E*riksen, C. W., & Davids, A. (1955). The Meaning and Clinical Validity of the Taylor Anxiety Scale and the Hysteria-Psychasthenia Scales from the Mmpi: The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology Vol 50(1) Jan 1955, 135-137.
- Eswara, H. S., & Suryarekha, A. (1974). The relationship between lie scores and anxiety scores on Taylor's Manifest Anxiety Scale: Journal of Psychological Researches Vol 18(3) Sep 1974, 88-90.
- Fierro, A. (1982). Social desirability and acquiescence in the Manifest Anxiety Scale: Analisis y Modificacion de Conducta Vol 8(17) 1982, 93-127.
- Frohlich, W. D., & Euler, H. A. (1967). Drive Level (Manifest Anxiety), Achievement Motivation, and the Learning of a T-Maze: Zeitschrift fur Experimentelle und Angewandte Psychologie 14(1) 1967, 117-134.
- Fromme, D. K., & Schmidt, C. K. (1972). Affective role enactment and expressive behavior: Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Vol 24(3) Dec 1972, 413-419.
- Gersten, E. W. (1995). Multitrait-multimethod assessment of anxiety and depression scales. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Gilbert, A. R. (1967). Increased Diagnostic Value of the Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale by Use of Response Latency: Psychological Reports 20(1) 1967, 63-67.
- Goodstein, L. D., & Goldberger, L. (1955). Manifest anxiety and Rorschach performance in a chronic patient population: Journal of Consulting Psychology Vol 19(5) Oct 1955, 339-344.
- Gotlib, I. H., & Cane, D. B. (1989). Self-report assessment of depression and anxiety. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Hardy, R. E. (1967). A Study of Manifest Anxiety among Blind Residential School Students Using an Experimental Instrument Constructed for the Blind: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Hicks, R. A., Ostle, J. R., & Pellegrini, R. J. (1980). A unidimensional short form of the TMAS: Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society Vol 16(6) Dec 1980, 447-448.
- Himelstein, P. (1956). Taylor Scale characteristics of volunteers and non-volunteers for psychological experiments: The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology Vol 52(1) Jan 1956, 138-139.
- Hojat, M., & Shapurian, R. (1986). Anxiety and its measurement: A study of psychometric characteristics of a short form of the Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale in Iranian college students: Journal of Social Behavior & Personality Vol 1(4) Oct 1986, 621-630.
- Kaliappan, K. V., Rajalakshmi, A. L., & Sarada Menon, M. (1982). An evaluation of Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale: Journal of Psychological Researches Vol 26(1) Jan 1982, 6-8.
- Kamin, L. J., & Fedorchak, O. (1957). The Taylor Scale, hunger, and verbal learning: Canadian Journal of Psychology/Revue Canadienne de Psychologie Vol 11(4) Dec 1957, 212-218.
- Kendall, E. (1954). The Validity of Taylor's Manifest Anxiety Scale: Journal of Consulting Psychology Vol 18(6) Dec 1954, 429-432.
- Kerrick, J. S. (1955). Some Correlates of the Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale: The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology Vol 50(1) Jan 1955, 75-77.
- Kinsman, R. A., Dirks, J. F., Dahlem, N. W., & Heller, A. S. (1980). Anxiety in asthma: Panic-fear symptomatology and personality in relation to manifest anxiety: Psychological Reports Vol 46(1) Feb 1980, 196-198.
- Lazarus-Mainka, G. (1977). Some data on the validity of the Luck and Timaeus translations of the Manifest Anxiety Scale and the Crowne-Marlowe Social Desirability Scale: Diagnostica Vol 23(2) 1977, 151-155.
- Lebo, D., Toal, R. A., & Brick, H. (1958). Manifest anxiety in prisoners before and after CO-sub(2): Journal of Consulting Psychology Vol 22(1) Feb 1958, 51-55.
- Livneh, H., & Redding, C. A. (1986). A factor analytic study of manifest anxiety: A transsituational, transtemporal investigation: Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied Vol 120(3) May 1986, 253-263.
- Lovaas, O. I. (1960). Supplementary report: The relationship of induced muscular tension to manifest anxiety in learning: Journal of Experimental Psychology Vol 59(3) Mar 1960, 205-206.
- Martin, B. (1959). The validity of a self report measure of anxiety as a function of the time interval covered by the instructions: Journal of Consulting Psychology Vol 23(5) Oct 1959, 468.
- Mayzner, M. S., Jr., Sersen, E., & Tresselt, M. E. (1955). The Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale and Intelligence: Journal of Consulting Psychology Vol 19(5) Oct 1955, 401-403.
- Mednick, M. T. (1957). Mediated generalization and the incubation effect as a function of manifest anxiety: The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology Vol 55(3) Nov 1957, 315-321.
- Meyer, M. E. (1964). The nature of the responses on the Taylor Manifest Anxiety scale: Journal of Clinical Psychology 20(3) 1964, 378-381.
- Miller, H. L. (1987). The effect of maternal stress on fetal birth weight. New York, NY: AMS Press.
- Moerdyk, A. P., & Spinks, P. M. (1979). Preliminary cross-cultural validity study of Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale: Psychological Reports Vol 45(2) Oct 1979, 663-664.
- Moore, P. N., Kinsman, R. A., & Dirks, J. F. (1984). Subscales to the Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale in three chronically ill populations: Journal of Clinical Psychology Vol 40(6) Nov 1984, 1431-1433.
- Murthy, S. R., & Reddi, N. Y. (1967). Manifest Anxiety and Psychomotor Learning: Research Bulletin of the Department of Psychology, Osmania U No 3 1967, 9-18.
- Pratap, S., & Filella, J. (1966). Rorschach Correlates of the Taylor's Manifest Anxiety Scale for a Group of Normal People: Journal of Psychological Researches 10(3) 1966, 103-109.
- Pylyshyn, Z. W., & Agnew, N. M. (1963). The Validity of Anxiety and Drive Scales and Their Relation to Global Self-Ratings: The Canadian Psychologist Vol 4a(2) Apr 1963, 42-50.
- Redding, C. A., & Livneh, H. (1986). Manifest anxiety: A cluster analytic study: Perceptual and Motor Skills Vol 63(2, Pt 1) Oct 1986, 471-474.
- Reynolds, S. L., & Burdsal, C. (1975). A factor analytic study of manifest anxiety and abstract-concrete word recall: Journal of Multivariate Experimental Personality & Clinical Psychology Vol 1(3) Win 1975, 150-164.
- Sampson, H., & Bindra, D. (1954). "Manifest" anxiety, neurotic anxiety, and the rate of conditioning: The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology Vol 49(2) Apr 1954, 256-259.
- Schwab, J. J., Marder, L., & Clemmons, R. S. (1966). Anxiety, Severity of Illness and Other Medical Variables: Journal of Psychosomatic Research 10(3) 1966, 297-303.
- Siegman, A. W. (1956). Cognitive, affective, and psychopathogological correlates of the Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale: Journal of Consulting Psychology Vol 20(2) Apr 1956, 137-141.
- Sinha, A. K., & Sinha, S. N. (1967). Mueller-Lyer Illusion in Subjects High and Low in Anxiety: Perceptual and Motor Skills 24(1) 1967, 194.
- Sinha, N. C. (1972). Personality factors and scholastic achievement of school students: Behaviorometric Vol 2(1) 1972, 9-12.
- Spinks, P. M., & Moerdyk, A. P. (1980). A comparison of responses between Indian and European South Africans to the TMAS: International Journal of Psychology Vol 15(1) Apr 1980, 43-52.
- Taffel, C. (1955). Anxiety and the conditioning of verbal behavior: The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology Vol 51(3) Nov 1955, 496-501.
- Taylor, J. A. (1953). A personality scale of manifest anxiety: The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology Vol 48(2) Apr 1953, 285-290.
- Taylor, J. A. (1955). The Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale and intelligence: The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology Vol 51(2) Sep 1955, 347.
- Tramill, J. L., & et al. (1982). A proposed relationship between the unidimensional short form of the TMAS and the DAS: The effects of embedding vs. separate administration: Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society Vol 19(4) Apr 1982, 209-211.
- Trapp, E. P., & Kausler, D. H. (1959). Association tendencies of groups differentiated on the Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale: Journal of Consulting Psychology Vol 23(5) Oct 1959, 387-389.
- Watson, D. (1967). Relationship between Locus of Control and Anxiety: Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Vol 6(1) May 1967, 91-92.
- Weitzner, M., Stallone, F., & Smith, G. M. (1967). Personality Profiles of High, Middle, and Low Mas Subjects: Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied 65(2) 1967, 163-168.
- Wen, S.-s., & McCoy, R. E. (1975). Relationships of selected nonacademic and academic variables to the grade point average of Black students: Educational and Psychological Measurement Vol 35(4) Win 1975, 935-939.
- Williams, C. D., Tallarico, R. B., & Tedeschi, J. T. (1960). Manifest Needs and Manifest Anxiety: Journal of Consulting Psychology Vol 24(4) Aug 1960, 371.
- Zdep, S. M. (1966). Intelligence, Creativity and Anxiety among College Students: Psychological Reports 19(2) 1966, 420.