Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Biological: Behavioural genetics · Evolutionary psychology · Neuroanatomy · Neurochemistry · Neuroendocrinology · Neuroscience · Psychoneuroimmunology · Physiological Psychology · Psychopharmacology (Index, Outline)
An example would be:
in which the sequence A-T-T-C-G is repeated three times.
When exactly two nucleotides are repeated, it is called a "dinucleotide repeat" (for example: ACACACAC...). The microsatellite instability in hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer most commonly affects such regions.
When three nucleotides are repeated, it is called a "trinucleotide repeat" (for example: CAGCAGCAGCAG...), and abnormalities in such regions can give rise to trinucleotide repeat disorders.
Tandem repeat describes a pattern that helps determine an individual's inherited traits.
DNA is examined from microsatellites within the chromosomal DNA. Minisatellite is another way of saying special regions of the loci. Polymerase chain reaction (or PCR) is performed on the minisatellite areas. The PCR must be performed on each organism being tested. The amplified material is then run through electrophoresis. By checking the percentage of bands that match, parentage is determined.
- Variable number tandem repeats
- Short tandem repeats
- Satellite DNA
- Tandem repeats database
- Amino acid tandem repeat
- Examples :
- VNTRs - info and animated example
- Databases :
- Search tools :
- Tandem Repeats Finder
- TRED - Tandem Repeats over the Edit Distance
- Microsatellite repeats finder
- JSTRING - Java Search for Tandem Repeats in genomes
- Phobos - a tandem repeat search tool for perfect and imperfect repeats - the maximum pattern size depends only on computational power
- UGENE - an ultra fast and memory efficient open-source tandem repeats finder implementation.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|