Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
There is consistent evidence that between 40-50% of suicides are in people with clinical depression and that up to 15% of individuals with severe major depressive disorder die by suicide. There is a 4-fold increase in death rate of individuals with major depressive disorder over 55 years of age (American Psychiatric Association, 2000).
Prevention of suicide in people with depression
There are a number of studies evaluating suicide prevention programmes in people with depression.
- Main article: Depression - Prevention of suicide
Key texts – Books
Additional material – Books
- American Psychiatric Association :
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed. Text Revision. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association , 2000
Key texts – Papers
- Beck, A. T., Kovacs, M., and Weissman, A. Hopelessness and suicidal behavior: An overview. Journal of the American Medical Association, 1975, 234, 1146-1149.
- Beck, A. T., and Rush, A. J. Cognitive approaches to depression and suicide.(1978) In G. Serban (Ed.), Cognitive defects in the development of mental illness. New York: Brunner-Mazel, .
- Lonnqvist JK. Psychiatric aspects of suicidal behaviour: depression. In: Hawton K, van Heeringen K, eds. International handbook of suicide and attempted suicide. Chichester: Wiley, 2000:107–120.
- Isometsa ET, Henriksson MM, Aro HM, Heikkinen ME, Kuoppasalmi KI, Lonnqvist JK (1994) Suicide In Major Depression. American Journal of Psychiatry ; 151(4):530-6.