Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Special needs dentistry, also known as special care dentistry, is a specialty of dentistry concerned with the oral health of people who have intellectual disability, or who are affected by other medical, physical, or psychiatric issues.
Special needs dentists require an extra three years of postgraduate training after attaining their dental degree. They are then eligible for Board Certification by the American Board of Special Care Dentistry (Diplomate ABSCD) or Fellowship with the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons (FRACDS (SND)).
People in this group require particular education and support to establish and maintain their oral health.
Generally the individual care plan of most people with special needs should contain the monitoring or supervision of their oral health consistent with their own wishes on this matter.It is also important that assessment of dental anxiety, dental fear and dental phobia is undertaken with this group with subsequent counseling undertaken where appropriate.
- Glassman, P. (2006). Oral Health Promotion with People with Special Needs. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
- Waldman, H. B., & Perlman, S. P. (2004). Eliminating Medicaid Dentistry for Adults With Mental Retardation: Mental Retardation Vol 42(6) Dec 2004, 476-479.
- Waldman, H. B., & Perlman, S. P. (2003). Collaboration between social workers and dentists for care of people with special health needs: A commentary: Social Work in Health Care Vol 37(2) 2003, 101-107.
- Dentistry for Persons with Special Needs
- Special care dentistry association
- Special needs residency at the University of Melbourne
- Special care residency at the University of Sydney
- Australian society for special care in dentistry
- RACDS SND training program
- Diploma of Special care dentistry - Royal College of Surgeons England
- King's College London residency in special care dentistry and sedation
- Special care residency Ireland