Stone was born Sidra Levi in Brooklyn, New York. She received a B.A. from Barnard College in 1957 and a Ph.D. from the University of Maryland in 1962. She was the Executive Director of Hamburger Home, residential treatment center for adolescent girls, from 1972 to 1979. She published one book with Hal Stone as Sidra Winkelman and the rest are under her current name.
Stone is the mother of three daughters: Dr. Elizabeth Winkelman-Matazzoni, a clinical psychologist; Dr. Claudia Sadoff, an international economist; and Dr. Recha Winkelman, a radiologist. She has four grandchildren. She presently lives in Northern California with her husband, Hal Stone.
- Stone, H., Winkelman, S., Embracing Our Selves: The Voice Dialogue Manual. Nataraj Publishing, 1993. - ISBN 1-882591-06-2
- Stone, H., Stone, S., Embracing Each Other: How to Make All Your Relationships Work for You. Delos Publications, 1989. - ISBN 1-56557-062-6
- Stone, H., Stone S., Embracing Your Inner Critic: Turning Self-Criticism into a Creative Asset. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 1993. - ISBN 0-06-250757-5
- Stone, S., Stone, H., You Don't Have to Write a Book!. Delos Publications, 1998. - ISBN 1-56557-060-X
- Stone, H., Stone S., Partnering: A New Kind of Relationship. New World Library, 2000. - ISBN 1-57731-107-8
- Stone, S., The Shadow King: The Invisible Force That Holds Women Back. Backinprint.com, 2000. - ISBN 0-595-13755-5