Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Salomon Stricker (1 January 1834, Waag-Neustadtl/Vágújhely/[[Nové Mesto nad Váhom) – 2 April 1898) was an Austrian pathologist and histologist who was born in Waag-Neustadtl, which is now part of Slovaki. He studied at the University of Vienna, and subsequently became a research assistant at the Institute of Physiology under Ernst Wilhelm von Brücke. Later he became head of the Institute of General and Experimental Pathology in Vienna.
In his landmark "Interpretation of Dreams", Sigmund Freud discusses a passage in Stricker's Studien uber das Bewusstsein regarding the expression of affect in dreams (e.g. fear, joy) and the dream's ideational content, and how these two elements compare to the ideational/affective dynamic in an awake state. In his book, Stricker uses as an example; "If I am afraid of robbers in my dreams, the robbers, to be sure, are imaginary, but the fear of them is real". It was at Stricker's institute that ophthalmologist Karl Koller, who at the suggestion of Freud, began his experimentation with cocaine as a local anaesthetic.
- Handbuch der Lehre von den Geweben des Menschen und der Thiere (Textbook on the Doctrine of Tissues of Humans and Animals), (1871-73)
- Vorlesungen über allgemeine und experimentelle Pathologie (Lectures on General and Experimental Pathology), (1877-83)
- Studien über das Bewusstsein (Studies on Consciousness), (1879)
- Studien über die Sprachvorstellungen (Studies on Language Performances), (1880)
- Über die Bewegungsvorstellungen (1882)
- Studien über die Association der Vorstellungen (Studies on the Association of Ideas), 1883
- Physiologie des Rechts, (1884).
- History of the Department of Pathophysiology, University of Vienna
-  translated biography @ Pagel:Biographical Dictionary
- Contents of Handbuch der Lehre von den Geweben des Menschen und der Thiere
-  The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud, the Affects in Dreams p. 226
- See also: Stricker