Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Assagioli was a student of Sigmund Freud and introduced Freud's teachings to the medical fraternity in Florence in 1910. He is one of three Italians credited with being pioneers of the psychoanalytic movement.
At the same time, around 1910, Assagioli laid the groundwork for Psychosynthesis. He saw that there was a need for something beyond analysis. This was the need for a person to become whole - to be united in synthesis.
Assagioli maintained that just as there was a lower unconscious, there was also a superconscious. He describes this as a realm of the psyche which contains our deepest potential, the source of the unfolding pattern of our unique human path of development. Assagioli formulated his discoveries into an approach he called psychosynthesis. This term of course distinguishes it from psychoanalysis, but Assagioli did not mean thereby to replace psychoanalysis, but rather to complement and include it.
Psychosynthesis then is not simply a model of pathology and treatment, but a developmental approach which can help guide a person to understand the meaning of their human life within the broad context of synthesis - the drive towards the harmonisation of all relationships, whether intrapersonal, or interpersonal, between individuals and groups.
"Only the development of his inner powers can offset the dangers inherent in man's losing control of the tremendous natural forces at his disposal and becoming the victim of his own achievements." - Roberto Assagioli, The Act of Will, 2002, p. 6
- Psychosynthesis: A Collection of Basic Writings by Roberto Assagioli ISBN 0967857007
- The Act of Will by Roberto Assagioli ISBN 0670103098
- Istituto di Psicosintesi The Institute of Psychosynthesis founded by Roberto Assagioli
- In Memoriam: Roberto Assagioli Dr. Roberto Assagioli, founder of Psychosynthesis
- The Institute of Psychosynthesis, London - Counselling and Psychotherapy Training and Self-Development
- A few words about Dr.Assagioli by Piero Ferrucci
- http://www.psychosynthesisresources.com/assagioli_video.html Healing the Whole Person, a filmed interview with Roberto Assagioli
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|