Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Regression has a number of meanings in psychology.
- Age regression (general).In general terms it relates to a return to an immature way of feeling, thinking or acting, usually under stressful circumstances. In this sense the regression is an expression of the stress and may be seen as a learned response. For example irrational anger may have worked when you were a child and you try it as an adult to get your way.
- Age regression (hypnotic) Technique used in hypnosis to guides people back to earlier memories.
- Regression (psychoanalysis). In its more technical sense regression is a defense mechanism in psychoanalysis,in which a person adopts an immature way of feeling , acting or thinking, in order to reduce their anxiety. In this sense the emphasis is on the defensive function of the response to protect the internal state.
- Regression (reading) in reading regression is the tendency to rescan text already read which reduces reading speed.
- Regression (statistics) in statistics regression is a technique for examining the relationship between one or more independent variables and a dependent variable