Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
People with schizophrenia often have impaired physical health and suffer from disproportionately with a number of physical disorders. To some degree these associations can account for the excess mortality of schizophrenia.
We need here a table comparing the incidence of various physical disorders amongst people with schizophrenia vs the general population.
- ↑ Cohen A and Phelan M (2001) The physical health of patients with mental illness: a neglected area, Mental Health Promotion Update 2 pp15–6.
- ↑ Brown S, Inskip H and Barraclough B (2000) Causes of the excess mortality of schizophrenia, British Journal of Psychiatry, 177, pp212.
- Bushe CJ, Bradley AJ, Wildgust HJ, Hodgson RE. Schizophrenia and breast cancer incidence: a systematic review of clinical studies. Schizophrenia Res 2009; 114(1-3).
- Department of Health. Choosing health:supporting the physical health needs of people with severe mental illness - commissioning framework. Department of Health 2006. Full Text
- Dinan T et al (2004) Schizophrenia and Diabetes 2003. Expert Consensus Meeting, Dublin, 3–4 October 2003: consensus summary, British Journal of Psychiatry, 184(suppl. 47), pps112–4.
- Nocon A (2004) Background evidence for the DRC’s formal investigation into health inequalities experienced by people with learning difficulties or mental health problems, Disability Rights Commission (www.drc-gb.org), London.
- Oud MJ, Meyboom-de Jong B. Somatic diseases in patients with schizophrenia in general practice: their prevalence and health care. BMC Family Practice 2009; 10: 32.
- Phelan M, Stradins L and Morrison S (2001) Physical health of people with severe mental illness, British Medical Journal, 322:pp443–4.
- Samele C (2004) Factors leading to poor physical health in people with psychosis, Epidemiologia e Psichiatria Sociale, 13, pp141–5
- Sherr L (1998) Health promotion and mental illness – an overview, Psychology, Health and Medicine, 3(1), 5–18.