Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Biological: Behavioural genetics · Evolutionary psychology · Neuroanatomy · Neurochemistry · Neuroendocrinology · Neuroscience · Psychoneuroimmunology · Physiological Psychology · Psychopharmacology (Index, Outline)
Pentobarbital chemical structure
| CAS number |
| ATC code |
| PubChem |
| DrugBank |
|Elimination half-life||15-48 hours|
|Pregnancy category||D (USA)|
|Legal status||USA: Schedule II (oral and parenteral); Schedule III (rectal)|
|Routes of administration||Oral, Intravenous, Intramuscular, Rectal; also Intraperitoneal & Intracardiac (for animal euthanasia)|
Pentobarbital is a short acting barbiturate that is available as both a free acid and a sodium salt, the former of which is only slightly soluble in water and ethanol. One trade name for this drug is Nembutal®, coined by Dr. John S. Lundy, who started using it in 1930, from the structural formula of the sodium salt—Na (sodium) + ethyl + methyl + butyl + al (common suffix for barbiturates).
In France, it is used in the treatment of insomnia, and as a preanesthetic.
It is used by itself, or more often in combination with complementary agents such as phenytoin, in commercial animal euthanasia injectable solutions. Trade names include Euthasol, Euthatal, Beuthanasia-D and Fatal Plus.
Pentobarbital has also been used for physician-assisted suicide. Pentobarbital was used for this purpose in the Northern Territory of Australia, prior to euthanasia becoming illegal. It is also commonly used in Oregon for physician assisted suicide. 
The Beatles were accused of writing their 1966 hit Yellow Submarine while under the psychoactive effects of Nembutal, though band members denied the allegations.[How to reference and link to summary or text]The Clash makes a reference to it in the song The Right Profile from the album London Calling in which the lyrics read "Nembutal numbs it all, But I prefer… alcohol!".
Tricyclic antidepressants decrease serum levels of pentobarbital.
References and End NotesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Pentobarbital. San Diego Reference Laboratory: Technical Help. URL accessed on 16 July, 2005.
- ↑ Lee C. Fosburgh (1997). Imagining in Time: From this point in time: Some memories of my part in the history of anesthesia -- John S. Lundy, MD. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Journal 65 (4): 323-8. PMID 9281913.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Deglin, Judith Hopfer; April Hazard Vallerand  (2004-06-01). Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses, 9th edition, 789, F. A. Davis Company. ISBN 978-0-8036-1154-2. URL accessed 2005-07-16.
- ↑ VIDAL (2001). PENTOBARBITAL SODIQUE. Banque de Données Automatisée sur les Médicaments. URL accessed on May 2, 2006.
- ↑ UBC Committee on Animal Care (2005). Euthanasia. SOP 009E1 - euthanasia - overdose with pentobarbital. The University of British Columbia. URL accessed on 4 October, 2005.
- ↑ Unknown (2003). ANESTHESIA AND ANALGESIA. Animal Use Protocols. University of Virginia. URL accessed on 4 October, 2005.
- ↑ Goodenough, Patrick Campaigners Rally Round Right-To-Die Woman. CNSNews.com.
- ↑ Knodell, R. G., Spector MH, Brooks DA, Keller FX, Kyner WT. (December 1980). Alterations in pentobarbital pharmacokinetics in response to parenteral and enteral alimentation in the rat. Gastroenterology 79 (6): 1211-6. PMID 6777235.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|