Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Sir Patrick Bateson, FRS (born 31 March 1938) is an English biologist and ethologist. Bateson is emeritus professor of ethology at Cambridge University and president of the Zoological Society of London since 2004.
Bateson's grandfather's cousin was the geneticist William Bateson. Patrick Bateson received his BA degree in zoology and Ph.D. degree in animal behaviour from Cambridge University. Previous academic positions include a Harkness Fellowship at Stanford University and ten years as head of the Cambridge sub-department of Animal Behaviour. He was elected a fellow of the Royal Society in 1983. He retired as the biological secretary to the Royal Society and Provost of King's College, Cambridge in 2003, but continues in his other roles. He was made a knight bachelor in 2003.
Bateson is a research scientist and science populariser who has written many books and articles on ethology, animal welfare, developmental biology and genetics, gives public lectures and broadcasts, as well as advising the Parliament of the United Kingdom on scientific matters.
- "Growing Points in Ethology", with Robert Hinde (1976)
- Mate Choice (1983)
- The Development and Integration of Behaviour (1991)
- Behavioural Mechanisms in Evolutionary Perspective (1992)
- Measuring Behaviour, with Paul Martin (1993)
- "The Behavioural and Physiological Effects of Culling Red Deer" (1997)
- Perspectives in Ethology (series)
- Design For A Life, with Paul Martin (1999)
- "Innateness and the sciences", with Matteo Mameli, in Biology and Philosophy, 21(2), pp.155-188 (2006).
See also Edit
- The Edge biography
- Official homepage
- Patrick Bateson interviewed by Alan Macfarlane 13th December 2007 (film)
- Patrick Bateson named chair of Kennel Club and Dogs Trust breeding review
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|