Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
|Brain: Preoptic area|
|Preoptic area is 'PO', at left, in blue.|
The preoptic area is a rostal region of the hypothalamus. According to the MeSH classification, it is considered part of the anterior hypothalamus. It is usually considered to be divided into the lateral and medial preoptic areas
This area propagates stimuli to either the heat-losing or heat-promoting centres of the hypothalamus.
Lateral preoptic areaEdit
Medial preoptic areaEdit
This is the forebrain region partially responsible for male sexual behavior and this is demonstrate by the fact that lesions eliminates the copulatory response  while stimulation produces it .
- nucleus preopticus lateralis (lateral preoptic nucleus)
- nucleus preopticus medialis (medial preoptic nucleus)
- nucleus preopticus medianus (median preoptic nucleus)
- nucleus preopticus periventricularis (periventricular preoptic nucleus)
Medial preoptic nucleusEdit
Medial preoptic nucleus releases gonadotropin-releasing hormone.
Median preoptic nucleusEdit
Studies in female mice have shown that estrogen receptor-alpha declines in the pre-optic hypothalamus as they grow old. The female mice that were given a calorically restricted diet during the majority of their lives, maintained higher levels of ERα in the pre-optic hypothalamus than their non-calorically restricted counterparts. 
- ↑ Drinking decreases the noradrenaline release in the median preoptic area caused by hypovolemia in the rat Hiroko Miyakuboa, b, Kazuo Yamamotob, Satoko Hatakenakaa, Yasushi Hayashic and Junichi Tanaka
- ↑ Yaghmaie F, Saeed O, Garan SA, Freitag W, Timiras PS, Sternberg H. (2005). Caloric restriction reduces cell loss and maintains estrogen receptor-alpha immunoreactivity in the pre-optic hypothalamus of female B6D2F1 mice.. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 26 (3): 197-203.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|