Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Transgender is a very complex topic, where definitions are often still up in the air. Usually, the only way to find out how exactly people identify themselves is to ask them, and sometimes, transgender people either cannot or will not define themselves any more specifically than transgender, queer, or genderqueer.
Books and articles written about transgender people or culture are often outdated by the time they are published, if not already outdated at the time of composition, due to inappropriate and/or outdated questions or premises. Not only psychology and medicine, but also social sciences deal with transgender people, and each starts from a very different point of view, offers very different perspectives, and uses a different nomenclature. The difference is mirrored by the attitude of transgendered people towards transgender issues, as can be seen in the articles listed below.
People and Behaviour Edit
- Third gender
- Transvestic fetishism
In non-western cultures Edit
- Transgender in China
- Evening people
- Transsexuality in Iran
- Transgender people in Singapore
- Sworn virgin
Basic Terms Edit
- Sexual characteristics
- Sex-determination system
- 5-alpha-reductase deficiency
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
- Androgen insensitivity syndrome
- Klinefelter's syndrome
- Swyer syndrome
- Turner's syndrome
Relating to medical treatment Edit
- Standards of Care for Gender Identity Disorders
- Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association
- Gender reassignment therapy (compare also Sex change)
- Hormone replacement therapy (trans)
- Sex reassignment surgery
- Legal aspects of transsexualism
- List of transgender-rights organizations as of 5.1.2005, still a work in progress
- List of transgender-support organizations ditto
- List of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community centers in the USA and Canada
- Violence against gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and the transgendered
- Gender studies
- Gender and sexuality studies
- Anima (Jung)
- Transsexual Film Stars
- Transsexual Pregnancy
- Queer Theory
- Queer studies
- The Closet
- Stonewall riots
- Transgender Pride flag
- Transgender symbols
Other gender-variant people or behaviourEdit
Many other terms describe gender-variant people or behaviour, without the people being described necessarily being transgender.
Sexual orientation and behaviour Edit
Sexual orientation and behaviour are independent from gender identity; since both are often mentioned together or even confused, some relevant topics are mentioned here. The first article elaborates on this question.
- Homosexuality and transgender
- Sexuality and gender identity-based cultures also contains a section on transgender
- Sexual identity
Film and televisionEdit
- Main article: Transgender in film and television
- Transgender Warriors (ISBN 0807079413) by Leslie Feinberg
- The Transsexual Empire (ISBN 0807762725) by Janice Raymond
- Masculinities Without Men? (ISBN 0774809973) by Jean Bobby Noble
- Transgenderism and Intersexuality in Childhood and Adolescence: Making Choices (ISBN 076191711X) by Peggy Cohen-Kettenis and Friedemann Pfäfflin]]
- Armistead Maupin's "Tales of the City" has a transgendered person as a central character in it.
- "Boy Wives and Female Husbands: Studies of African Homosexualities" by Will Roscoe
- "Latin American Male Homosexualities" by Stephen O. Murray
- "Islamic Homosexualities: Culture, History, and Literature" by Stephen O. Murray
- "Pacific Homosexualities" by Stephen O. Murray
- Fictionmania is a non-commercial website collecting and archiving stories, poems, and essays exploring gender.
- The Caste Of The Metabarons by Alejandro Jodorowsky: Aghora, the father of the current Metabarons, is a transman.
- Venus Envy by Erin Lindsey, is a webcomic centred around the life of a teenage MTF.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|