Scientific apes Edit
- Ai (born 1976) — chimpanzee; studied by scientists at Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University
- Bonnie — orangutan; began whistling (mimicking an animal caretaker), which is changing ideas about primate sound repertoires.
- Chantek (born 1977) — orangutan; involved with language research and ApeNet language-using great ape ambassador
- Clint — chimpanzee; source of DNA for Chimpanzee Genome Project, Yerkes Primate Center
- Donald — chimpanzee; source of DNA for Chimpanzee genome project
- Enos (died 1962) — chimpanzee; spacefaring, after Ham
- Frodo — chimpanzee; baby-eating "bully" who has attacked Jane Goodall and Gary Larson
- Gon — chimpanzee; source of DNA for Chimpanzee genome project
- Gua — chimpanzee; raised as a child by the Drs. Kellogg alongside their son Donald.
- Ham the Chimp (1956–1983) — chimpanzee; spacefaring, before Enos
- Kanzi (born 1980) — bonobo; involved with language research and tool invention; ApeNet language-using great ape ambassador
- Koko (born 1971) — gorilla; involved with sign language research and ApeNet language-using great ape ambassador
- Lucy — chimpanzee; cross-fostered and raised by University of Oklahoma psychotherapist
- Nim Chimpsky (1973–2000) — chimpanzee; named after linguist Noam Chomsky
- Nyota (born 1998) — bonobo; Panbanisha's son
- Oliver the chimp — chimpanzee; the so-called "Missing Link", apparent "humanzee"
- Panzee and Panbanisha — chimpanzee & bonobo; at the same research center as Kanzi
- Sarah (chimpanzee) — research primate whose cognitive skills are documented in The Mind of an Ape
- Sultan — chimpanzee; used in classic Kohler tool-use studies
- Titus (born 1974) — gorilla; an extensively observed silverback Mountain Gorilla
- Washoe (1965-2007) — chimpanzee; pioneer ape of hand-signing research
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.