Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
[[File:Template:IPA audio filename| center| 150px]]
The labialized palatal approximant, also called the labial–palatal or labio-palatal approximant, is a type of consonantal sound, used in some spoken languages. It has two constrictions in the vocal tract: with the tongue on the palate, and rounded at the lips. The symbol in the International Phonetic Alphabet that represents this sound is ⟨ɥ⟩, a rotated lowercase letter ⟨h⟩, or occasionally ⟨jʷ⟩, since it is a labialized [j]. It is the semivocalic counterpart of the close front rounded vowel [y].
Features of the labial-palatal approximant:
- Its place of articulation is called labio-palatal, which means it is labialized palatal, accomplished by raising the body of the tongue toward the palate while rounding the lips.
- It is an oral consonant, which means air is allowed to escape through the mouth only.
- It is a central consonant, which means it is produced by directing the airstream along the center of the tongue, rather than to the sides.
- The airstream mechanism is pulmonic, which means it is articulated by pushing air solely with the lungs and diaphragm, as in most sounds.
|Abkhaz||ауаҩы||[awaˈɥə]||'human'||See Abkhaz phonology|
|Chinese||Mandarin||月/yuè||[ɥœ˥˩]||'moon'||See Mandarin phonology|
|Korean||뛰어가다/ttwieogada||[t̤ɥʌɡɐdɐ]||'to rush'||See Korean phonology|
|French||bonne nuit||align="center"| 'good night'||See French phonology|
- Ladefoged, Peter (1996). The Sounds of the World's Languages, Oxford: Blackwell. ISBN 0-631-19814-8.
International Phonetic Alphabet
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|