Relationship to OCDEdit
Kleptomania is frequently thought of as being a part of obsessive-compulsive disorder, since the irresistible and uncontrollable actions are similar to the frequently excessive, unnecessary and unwanted rituals of OCD. Some individuals with kleptomania demonstrate hoarding symptoms that resemble those with OCD.
Prevalence rates between the two disorders do not demonstrate a strong relationship. Studies examining the comorbidity of OCD in subjects with kleptomania have inconsistent results, with some showing a relatively high co-occurrence (45%-60%) while others demonstrate low rates (0%-6.5%). Similarly, when rates of kleptomania have been examined in subjects with OCD, a relatively low co-occurrence was found (2.2%-5.9%).
- ↑ Grant JE, Kim SW (2002). Clinical characteristics and associated psychopathology of 22 patients with kleptomania. Comprehensive psychiatry 43 (5): 378–84.
- ↑ Presta S, Marazziti D, Dell'Osso L, Pfanner C, Pallanti S, Cassano GB (2002). Kleptomania: clinical features and comorbidity in an Italian sample. Comprehensive psychiatry 43 (1): 7–12.
- ↑ McElroy SL, Pope HG, Hudson JI, Keck PE, White KL (1991). Kleptomania: a report of 20 cases. The American journal of psychiatry 148 (5): 652–7.
- ↑ Baylé FJ, Caci H, Millet B, Richa S, Olié JP (2003). Psychopathology and comorbidity of psychiatric disorders in patients with kleptomania. The American journal of psychiatry 160 (8): 1509–13. Full text available
- ↑ Grant JE (2003). Family history and psychiatric comorbidity in persons with kleptomania. Comprehensive psychiatry 44 (6): 437–41.
- ↑ <includeonly>[[Category:Pages with broken references]]</includeonly><span class="citeerror">Cite error: Invalid <code><ref></code> tag; no text was provided for refs named <code>pmid15714194</code></span>
- ↑ Fontenelle LF, Mendlowicz MV, Versiani M, (2005) Impulse control disorders in patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Psychiatr Clin Neurosci. 59:30-37.