Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Practical application of information visualization in computer programs involves selecting, transforming and representing abstract data in a form that facilitates human interaction for exploration and understanding. Dynamic forms of visualisation such as educational animation have the potential to enhance understandings of systems that change over time.
Important aspects of information visualization are the interactivity and dynamics of the visual representation. Strong techniques enable the user to modify the visualization in real-time, thus affording unparalleled perception of patterns and structural relations in the abstract data in question.
Although much work in information visualization regards to visual forms, auditory and other sensory representations are also of concern.
One of the top academic conferences for new research in information visualization is the annually held IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization (InfoVis).
There is also the annually held International Conference on Information Visualization (IV).
Related Research AreasEdit
- Data Mining, also known as knowledge-discovery in databases (KDD)
- Graph Drawing
- Knowledge Visualization
- Scientific/Data Visualization
- Timescapes, also known as wisdom for artificial intelligence (AI) agents
- Visual Analytics
- Bederson, Benjamin B., Shneiderman, Ben. The Craft of Information Visualization: Readings and Refelections, Morgan Kaufmann, 2003, ISBN 1558609156.
- Card, Stuart K., Mackinlay, Jock D., Shneiderman, Ben. Readings in Information Visualization: Using Vision to Think, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1999, ISBN 1-55860-533-9.
- William S. Cleveland (1993). Visualizing Data.
- William S. Cleveland (1994). The Elements of Graphing Data.
- Spence, Robert. Information Visualization, ACM Press, 2001, ISBN 0-201-59626-1.
- Edward R. Tufte (1992). The Visual Display of Quantitative Information
- Edward R. Tufte (1990). Envisioning Information.
- Edward R. Tufte (1997). Visual Explanations: Images and Quantities, Evidence and Narrative.
- Colin Ware (2000). Information Visualization: Perception for design.
- InfoVis-Wiki.net - Wiki about Information Visualization
- http://vam.anest.ufl.edu - A free transparent reality simulation of an anesthesia machine that uses information visualization, including sound and color
- http://dmoz.org/Reference/Knowledge_Management/Knowledge_Discovery/Information_Visualization/ - Open Directory, section on Information Visualization
- http://www.opendx.org/ - Open Data Explorer visualization software
- http://www.thinkmap.com/ - Commercial Toolkit for Information Visualization
- http://www.visualthesaurus.com - Visual Thesaurus
- http://prefuse.org - Java Toolkit for Interactive Information Visualization
- http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/piccolo - Toolkit for Zoomable User Interfaces
- http://www2.ilog.com/preview/Discovery - Interactive tool to browse through a large visualization design space.
- http://starlight.pnl.gov/ - Starlight Info Vis System, R&D100 winner
- http://in-spire.pnl.gov/ - IN-SPIRE™ Visual Document Analysis for Windows, R&D100 winner
- information aesthetics - Form Follows Data - Towards Creative Information Visualization
- VisualComplexity.com - A visual exploration on mapping complex networks
- Finally, WikiPedia itself can be visualized by a technique, called history flow.
- Dust & Magnet