Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Henry Roediger operates the memory lab at The Washington University in St. Louis Memory Lab conducts human learning and memory research. Although we are interested in many different topics in this broad area, our current research is primarily concerned with three issues:
Applying Cognitive Psychology to Enhance Educational Practice
- How can tests be used in the classroom to promote learning?
- Are there detrimental effects of giving multiple-choice tests?
- How does feedback help to enhance learning from tests?
Memory Illusions and False Memories
- Why do people remember events that never happened to them?
- What are the cognitive processes that produce false memories?
Dissociations Between Implicit and Explicit Measures of Retention
- What is the relation between explicit memory, or the conscious recollection of the past, and implicit memory, in which conscious remembering is not required?
- What are the differences between implicit and explicit memory?
- Are there different memory systems responsible for implicit and explicit memory?
- Roediger, H. L. (in press). Cognitive psychology of memory. Vol. 2 of Learning and memory: A comprehensive reference (J. Byrne, Ed.). Oxford: Elsevier.
- Roediger, H. L., Dudai, Y., & Fitzpatrick, S. M. (Eds.). (2007). Science of memory: Concepts. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Sternberg, R. J., Roediger, H. L., & Halpern, D. (Eds.) (2007). Critical thinking in psychology. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Elmes, D. G., Kantowitz, B. H., & Roediger, H. L. (2006). Research methods in psychology. Monterey, CA: Wadsworth. (8th Ed.).
- Kantowitz, B. H., Roediger, H. L., & Elmes, D. G. (2005). Experimental psychology: Understanding psychological research. Monterey, CA: Wadsworth. (8th Ed.).
- Darley, J. M., Zanna, M. P., & Roediger, H. L. (2004). The compleat academic: A career guide. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association Press.
- Naveh-Benjamin, M., Moscovitch, M., & Roediger, H. L. (Eds.), (2002). Perspectives on human memory and cognitive aging: Essays in honour of Fergus I. M. Craik. Philadelphia: Psychology Press.
- Roediger, H. L., Nairne, J. S., Neath, I., & Surprenant, A. M. (Eds.). (2001). The nature of remembering: Essays in honor of Robert G. Crowder. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association Press.
- McDermott, K. B., & Roediger, H. L. (Eds.) (1997). Readings in psychology. St. Paul: West Publishing Co.
- Roediger, H. L., Capaldi, E. D., Paris, S. G., Polivy, J. & Herman, C. P. (1996). Psychology. St. Paul, MN: West Publishing Co. (4th Ed.).
- Roediger, H. L., & Craik, F. I. M. (Eds). (1989). Varieties of memory and consciousness: Essays in honour of Endel Tulving. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.