Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Handwriting legibility is the ease with which handwriting can be read. This is not a trivial task as the same letter can be written in a number of ways using different script styles and this calls for a great deal of pattern recognition processing by the brain.
References & BibliographyEdit
A. S, V., J, R., & Bhogle, S. (2002). Improving children's handwriting: An operant model approach: Journal of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology Vol 28(1-2) Jan-Jul 2002, 25-30.
- Atukorale, A. S., & Suganthan, P. N. (2000). Hierarchical overlapped neural gas network with application to pattern classification: Neurocomputing: An International Journal Vol 35 Nov 2000, 165-176.
- Barnard, P., Wright, P., & Wilcox, P. (1978). The effects of spatial constraints on the legibility of handwritten alphanumeric codes: Ergonomics Vol 21(1) Jan 1978, 73-78.
- Bene-Kabala, L. (1997). Left-handed and right-handed students: Comparison of the speed and quality of their handwriting: Bulletin de Psychologie Scolaire et d'Orientation Vol 46(4) 1997, 169-182.
- Berent, S. (1974). Field-dependence and performance on a writing task: Perceptual and Motor Skills Vol 38(2) Apr 1974, 65l.
- Burkhalter, B. B., & Wright, J. P. (1984). Handwriting performance with and without transparent overlays: Journal of Experimental Education Vol 52(3) Spr 1984, 132-135.
- Burnhill, P., Hartley, J., & Davies, L. (1978). Lined paper, legibility and creativity: Educational Research Vol 21(1) Nov 1978, 62.
- Chase, C. I. (1979). The impact of achievement expectations and handwriting quality on scoring essay tests: Journal of Educational Measurement Vol 16(1) Spr 1979, 39-42.
- Chiang, J.-H. (1998). A hybrid neural network model in handwritten word recognition: Neural Networks Vol 11(2) Mar 1998, 337-346.
- Cicci, R. (1980). Written language disorders: Bulletin of the Orton Society Vol 30 1980, 240-251.
- Contreras-Vidal, J. L., Teulings, H.-L., & Stelmach, G. E. (1995). Micrographia in Parkinson's disease: Neuroreport: An International Journal for the Rapid Communication of Research in Neuroscience Vol 6(15) Oct 1995, 2089-2092.
- Cornhill, H., & Case-Smith, J. (1996). Factors that relate to good and poor handwriting: American Journal of Occupational Therapy Vol 50(9) Oct 1996, 732-739.
- Daly, C. J., Kelley, G. T., & Krauss, A. (2003). Relationship between visual-motor integration and handwriting skills of children in kindergarten: A modified replication study: American Journal of Occupational Therapy Vol 57(4) Jul-Aug 2003, 459-462.
- Daniel, M. E., & Froude, E. H. (1998). Reliability of occupational therapist and teacher evaluations of the handwriting quality of grade 5 and 6 primary school children: Australian Occupational Therapy Journal Vol 45(2) Jun 1998, 48-58.
- Dennis, J. L., & Swinth, Y. (2001). Pencil grasp and children's handwriting legibility during different-length writing tasks: American Journal of Occupational Therapy Vol 55(2) Mar-Apr 2001, 175-183.
- Diekema, S. M., Deitz, J., & Amundson, S. J. (1998). Test-retest reliability of the Evaluation Tool of Children's Handwriting-Manuscript: American Journal of Occupational Therapy Vol 52(4) Apr 1998, 248-255.
- du Pasquier, M.-A. (1992). Handwriting: Between language and trace: Psychologie Medicale Vol 24(14) 1992, 1572-1574.
- Fukushima, K. (2003). Neocognition for handwritten digit recognition: Neurocomputing: An International Journal Vol 51 Apr 2003, 161-180.
- Gates, A. I. (1921). Special review of Mrs. Burgess' monograph on silent reading: Journal of Educational Psychology Vol 12(6) Sep 1921, 350-353.
- Gillieron, C. (1987). The lost postcard technique: Formal aspects of the message as legibility indices of social perception: European Journal of Social Psychology Vol 17(3) Jul-Sep 1987, 367-371.
- Glazer, S. M., & Curry, D. (1988). Word processing programs: Survival tools for children with writing problems: Journal of Reading, Writing, & Learning Disabilities International Vol 4(3) 1988-1989, 187-199.
- Goldberg, E. R., & Simner, M. L. (1999). A comparison of children's handwriting under traditional vs. whole language instruction: Canadian Journal of School Psychology Vol 14(2) 1999, 11-30.
- Goyen, T.-A., & Duff, S. (2007). Kinaesthetic training was no more effective than handwriting practice or no treatment in improving kinaesthesis or handwriting speed and legibility in grade-one students: Australian Occupational Therapy Journal Vol 54(3) Sep 2007, 240-242.
- Graham, S. (1986). A review of handwriting scales and factors that contribute to variability in handwriting scores: Journal of School Psychology Vol 24(1) Spr 1986, 63-71.
- Graham, S., Boyer-Shick, K., & Tippets, E. (1989). The validity of the Handwriting Scale from the Test of Written Language: Journal of Educational Research Vol 82(3) Jan-Feb 1989, 166-171.
- Graham, S., Struck, M., Santoro, J., & Berninger, V. W. (2006). Dimensions of Good and Poor Handwriting Legibility in First and Second Graders: Motor Programs, Visual-Spatial Arrangement, and Letter Formation Parameter Setting: Developmental Neuropsychology Vol 29(1) 2006, 43-60.
- Graham, S., Weintraub, N., & Berninger, V. W. (1998). The relationship between handwriting style and speed and legibility: Journal of Educational Research Vol 91(5) May-Jun 1998, 290-296.
- Hartley, S. T., & Salzwedel, K. D. (1980). Behavioral writing for an autistic-like child: Academic Therapy Vol 16(1) Sep 1980, 101-110.
- Huck, S. W., & Bounds, W. G. (1972). Essay grades: An interaction between graders' handwriting clarity and the neatness of examination papers: American Educational Research Journal Vol 9(2) Spr 1972, 279-283.
- Hughes, D. C., Keeling, B., & Tuck, B. F. (1983). Are untidy essays marked down by graders with neat handwriting? : New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies Vol 18(2) Nov 1983, 184-186.
- Hughes, D. C., Keeling, B., & Tuck, B. F. (1983). Effects of achievement expectations and handwriting quality on scoring essays: Journal of Educational Measurement Vol 20(1) Spr 1983, 65-70.
- Hughes, H. H., Jackson, K., du Bois, K. E., & Erwin, R. (1979). Treatment of handwriting problems utilizing EMG biofeedback training: Perceptual and Motor Skills Vol 48(2) Apr 1979, 603-606.
- Jackson, K., & Hughes, H. H. (1978). Effects of relaxation training on cursive handwriting of fourth grade students: Perceptual and Motor Skills Vol 47(3, Pt 1) Dec 1978, 707-712.
- Jiayan, L., Quanquan, Z., & Kan, S. (2005). Recent Researches on the Analysis of Chinese Handwriting: Psychological Science (China) Vol 28(2) Mar 2005, 442-443.
- Jongmans, M. J., Linthorst-Bakker, E., Westenberg, Y., & Smits-Engelsman, B. C. M. (2003). Use of a task-oriented self-instruction method to support children in primary school with poor handwriting quality and speed: Human Movement Science Vol 22(4-5) Nov 2003, 549-566.
- Kapur, N., & Gordon, D. S. (1975). Retraining of dysgraphia: A case study: Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry Vol 38(5) May 1975, 465-468.
- Kosiewicz, M. M., Hallahan, D. P., & Lloyd, J. W. (1981). The effects of an LD student's treatment choice on handwriting performance: Learning Disability Quarterly Vol 4(3) Sum 1981, 281-286.
- Lahey, B. B., Busemeyer, M. K., O'Hara, C., & Beggs, V. E. (1977). Treatment of severe perceptual-motor disorders in children diagnosed as learning disordered: Behavior Modification Vol 1(1) Jan 1977, 123-140.
- Lindsay, G. A., & McLennan, D. (1983). Lined paper: Its effects on the legibility and creativity of young children's writing: British Journal of Educational Psychology Vol 53(3) Nov 1983, 364-368.
- MacArthur, C. A. (1999). Word prediction for students with severe spelling problems: Learning Disability Quarterly Vol 22(3) Sum 1999, 158-172.
- Macleod, A. D., & Whitehead, L. E. (1997). Dysgraphia and terminal delirium: Palliative Medicine Vol 11(2) Mar 1997, 127-132.
- Massey, A. (1983). The effects of handwriting and other incidental variables on GCE "A" level marks in English literature: Educational Review Vol 35(1) Feb 1983, 45-50.
- May, D. S., & Brannin, J. R. (1984). A possible relationship between handwriting speed and intelligence: Human Learning: Journal of Practical Research & Applications Vol 3(3) Jul-Sep 1984, 209-213.
- McLaughlin, T. F. (1981). An analysis of token reinforcement: A control group comparison with special education youth employing measures of significance: Child Behavior Therapy Vol 3(1) Spr 1981, 43-50.
- McLaughlin, T. F., Mabee, W. S., Byram, B. J., & Reiter, S. M. (1987). Effects of academic positive practice and response cost on writing legibility of behaviorally disordered and learning-disabled junior high school students: Journal of Child & Adolescent Psychotherapy Vol 4(3) 1987, 216-221.
- Myles, B. S., Huggins, A., Rome-Lake, M., Hagiwara, T., Barnhill, G. P., & Griswold, D. E. (2003). Written language profile of children and youth with Asperger syndrome: From research to practice: Education and Training in Developmental Disabilities Vol 38(4) Dec 2003, 362-369.
- Nikola-Lisa, W. J. (1987). Motor, perceptual-motor and cognitive factors responsible for differentiating between above- and below-average legibility scores of second grade students: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Park, C., Weber, K. P., & McLaughlin, T. F. (2007). The effects of fading, modeling, prompting, and direct instruction on letter legibility for two preschool students with physical and developmental delays: Child & Family Behavior Therapy Vol 29(3) 2007, 13-21.
- Peeples, E. E., Searls, D. T., & Wellingham-Jones, P. (1995). Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: A longitudinal case study of handwriting characteristics: Perceptual and Motor Skills Vol 81(3, Pt 2) Dec 1995, 1243-1252.
- Rosenblum, S. (2005). Using the Alphabet Task to Differentiate between Proficient and Nonproficient Handwriters: Perceptual and Motor Skills Vol 100(3) Jun 2005, 629-639.
- Rosenblum, S., Chevion, D., & Weiss, P. L. (2006). Using data visualization and signal processing to characterize the handwriting process: Pediatric Rehabilitation Vol 9(4) Oct-Dec 2006, 404-417.
- Rosenblum, S., Weiss, P. L., & Parush, S. (2003). Product and process evaluation of handwriting difficulties: Educational Psychology Review Vol 15(1) Mar 2003, 41-81.
- Schilling, D. L., Washington, K., Billingsley, F. F., & Deitz, J. (2003). Classroom Seating for Children With Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Therapy Balls Versus Chairs: American Journal of Occupational Therapy Vol 57(5) Sep-Oct 2003, 534-541.
- Schneck, C. M. (1998). Clinical interpretation of "Test-retest reliability of the Evaluation Tool of Children's Handwriting-Manuscript." American Journal of Occupational Therapy Vol 52(4) Apr 1998, 256-258.
- Sheffield, B. (1996). Handwriting: A neglected cornerstone of literacy: Annals of Dyslexia Vol 46 1996, 21-35.
- Simpson, S., & Abromovitch, N. (1980). A diagnostic approach to writing disability: Academic Therapy Vol 16(1) Sep 1980, 83-92.
- Sims, E. V., & Weisberg, P. (1984). Effects of page prompts on beginning handwriting legibility: Journal of Educational Research Vol 77(6) Jul-Aug 1984, 360-365.
- Sloan, C. A., & McGinnis, I. (1982). The effect of handwriting on teachers' grading of high school essays: Journal of the Association for the Study of Perception Vol 17(2) Fal 1982, 15-21.
- Sommer, R. (1977). A note on "graphonyms": American Journal of Psychology Vol 90(3) Sep 1977, 527-528.
- Starrfelt, R. (2007). Selective alexia and agraphia sparing numbers: A case study: Brain and Language Vol 102(1) Jul 2007, 52-63.
- Stott, D. H., Henderson, S. E., & Moyes, F. A. (1987). Diagnosis and remediation of handwriting problems: Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly Vol 4(2) Apr 1987, 137-147.
- Streifler, M., & Hofman, S. (1976). Sinistrad mirror writing and reading after brain concussion in a bi-systemic (oriento-occidental) polyglot: Cortex Vol 12(4) Dec 1976, 356-364.
- Sweeney, W. J., Salva, E., Cooper, J. O., & Talbert-Johnson, C. (1993). Using self-evaluation to improve difficult-to-read handwriting of secondary students: Journal of Behavioral Education Vol 3(4) Dec 1993, 427-443.
- Tahil, F. A. (2005). BluefishRx Prescription Writer: Journal of Psychiatric Practice Vol 11(1) Jan 2005, 58-61.
- Turner, C. O., & Spivack, G. (1971). Staff-patient interaction, race and patient behavior on a psychiatric ward: Mental Hygiene Vol 55(4) Oct 1971, 499-503.
- Waggoner, J., LaNunziata, L. J., Hill, D. S., & Cooper, J. O. (1981). Space size and accuracy of kindergarten and first grade students' manuscript handwriting: Journal of Educational Research Vol 74(3) Jan-Feb 1981, 182-184.
- Weintraub, N., Drory-Asayag, A., Dekel, R., Jokobovits, H., & Parush, S. (2007). Developmental trends in handwriting performance among middle school children: OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health Vol 27(3) Sum 2007, 104-112.
- Woodward, S., & Swinth, Y. (2002). Multisensory approach to handwriting remediation: Perceptions of school-based occupational therapists: American Journal of Occupational Therapy Vol 56(3) May-Jun 2002, 305-312.
- Workman, E. A., Workman, B. L., & Maclin, J. (1979). Visual and auditory stimulus presentation factors in the behavioral treatment of illegible handwriting: Corrective & Social Psychiatry & Journal of Behavior Technology, Methods & Therapy Vol 25(4) 1979, 129-133.
- Ziviani, J. (1984). Some elaborations on handwriting speed in 7- to 14-year-olds: Perceptual and Motor Skills Vol 58(2) Apr 1984, 535-539.
- Ziviani, J., & Watson-Will, A. (1998). Writing speed and legibility of 7-14-year-old school students using modern cursive script: Australian Occupational Therapy Journal Vol 45(2) Jun 1998, 59-64.
- Appleton, A. (1992). Handwriting skills of children in third through sixth-grade: Relationship to academic achievement: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Engleman, M. A. (1978). An investigation of handwriting achievement and visual-motor-perception abilities of first grade students: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Strickling, G. A. (1974). The effect of handwriting and related skills upon the spelling score of above average and below average readers in the fifth grade: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Torres Ortiz, P. (1994). The use of computer-assisted instruction in the teaching of handwriting skills. Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Tseng, M.-h. (1992). Handwriting performance and perceptual-motor abilities in Chinese school-aged children: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Windsor, M.-M. (1995). Handwriting in boys with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.