Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
- If young is good, then old is bad
- If the young have it all, the old are losing it
- If the young are creative, the old are dull
- If the young are beautiful then the old are unattractive
- If the young are stimulating, then the old are boring
- If the young are full of passion, then the old are beyond caring
- If the children are tomorrow, the old represent yesterday
Gerontophobia and ageismEdit
Discriminatory aspects of ageism have been strongly linked to gerontophobia. This unreasonable fear or hatred of the elderly is associated with the fact that someday all young people will grow old and that old age is associated with death. This unwillingness to accept death manifests in feelings of hostility and discriminatory acts towards the elderly.
- ↑ γέρων, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus
- ↑ φόβος, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus
- ↑ "Gerontophobia, Ageing and Retirement" Current Science, 10 November 2004
- ↑ Dychtwald, Ken; Flower, Joe (1990). Age wave: the challenges and opportunities of an aging America, New York: Bantam Books.
- ↑ Bunzel, J. H. "Note on the history of a concept-gerontophobia." Gerontologist 12:116-203.
- ↑ Levin, J., & Levin, W. C. (1980). Ageism, prejudice and discrimination against the elderly (p. 94). Belmont, Calif.: Wadsworth Pub. Co..
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|