Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Biological: Behavioural genetics · Evolutionary psychology · Neuroanatomy · Neurochemistry · Neuroendocrinology · Neuroscience · Psychoneuroimmunology · Physiological Psychology · Psychopharmacology (Index, Outline)
Adiposogenital dystrophy is an Endocrine disorder which may be caused by secondary hypogonadism originating from decreased levels in GnRH. Low levels of GnRH has been associated with defects of the feeding centers of the hypothalamus, leading to an increase consumption of food and thus caloric intake.
It is characterized by:
- Feminine obesity
- Growth retardation and retarded sexual development, atrophy or hypoplasia of the gonads, and altered secondary sex characteristics,
- Problems with vision
- polyuria, polydipsia.
Many overweight children may appear to have the disorder because of the concurrence of obesity and retarded sexual development; these children have no endocrine disturbances, however, and they mature normally after delayed puberty.
It has several other names:
- Babinski-Fröhlich syndrome (named after Joseph Babinski and Alfred Fröhlich, but probably first described by Morgagni).[How to reference and link to summary or text] (It was given its name by Harvey Cushing.)
- Froelich's syndrome
- Frölich's Syndrome
- Hypothalamic Infantilism-Obesity
- Launois-Cleret Syndrome
- Sexual Infantilism
- Lateral hypothalamic syndrome
- Prader-Willi syndrome, which it might resemble. However, this is a genetic disorder.
- ↑ National Organisation for Rare Disorders - Froelich's syndrome
- ↑ Who Named It synd/1792 - Babinski-Fröchlich syndrome
- ↑ J. F. Babinski. Tumeur du corps pituitaire sans acromégalie et avec arrêt de développement des organes génitaux. Revue neurologique, Paris, 1900, 8: 531-535.
- ↑ A. Fröhlich. Ein Fall von Tumor der Hypophysis cerebri ohne Akromegalie. Wiener klinische Rundschau, 1901, 15: 833-836; 906-908.
- ↑ Zárate A, Saucedo R (2007). [The adiposogenital distrophy or Frohlich syndrome and the beginning of the concept of neuroendocrinology]. Gac Med Mex 143 (4): 349–50.
Endocrine pathology of psychological interest (E00-35)
thyroid Hypothyroidism (Iodine deficiency, Cretinism, Congenital hypothyroidism, Goitre) - Hyperthyroidism (Graves-Basedow disease, Toxic multinodular goitre) - Thyroiditis (De Quervain's thyroiditis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|