Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Fee-for-service is a standard business model where services are unbundled and paid for separately.
In Health insurance and the health care industry fee-for-service involves when doctors and other health care providers receive a fee for each service such as an office visit, test, procedure, or other health care service. Fee-for-service health insurance plans typically allow patients to obtain care from doctors or hospitals of their choosing, but in return for this flexibility they may pay higher copayments or deductibles. Patients frequently pay providers directly for services, then submit claims to their insurance company for reimbursement.
- Cost containment
- Health care delivery
- Health care services
- Health maintenance organisations
- Managed care
- Principle 12: Remuneration. (1967).). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Actuarial methodologies for managed care capitation rates. (1996).). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Capitation and alternative methods of reimbursement. (1996).). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- General discussion of arrangements. (1996).). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Individual state summary and recommendations. (1996).). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Models for multidisciplinary arrangements: A state-by-state review of options. (1996).). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Overview of market reform, capitation, and managed care. (1996).). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Provider capitation readiness and the process of contracting with managed care organizations. (1996).). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Sample capitation rates for typical plan designs. (1996).). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Survey of state laws. (1996).). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Backus, L., Osmond, D., Grumbach, K., Vranizan, K., Phuong, L., & Bindman, A. B. (2001). Specialists' and Primary Care Physicians' Participation in Medicaid Managed Care: Journal of General Internal Medicine Vol 16(12) Dec 2001, 815-821.
- Bailine, S. (1998). Reimbursement and documentation issues in an ambulatory ECT program: Journal of ECT Vol 14(4) Dec 1998, 255-258.
- Baker, L. C. (1999). Association of managed care market share and health expenditures for fee-for-service medicare patients: JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association Vol 281(5) Feb 1999, 432-437.
- Ballard, D. J., Nicewander, D. A., Qin, H., Fullerton, C., Winter, F. D., Jr., & Couch, C. E. (2007). Improving delivery of clinical preventive services: A multi-year journey: American Journal of Preventive Medicine Vol 33(6) Dec 2007, 492-497.
- Beale, N., Hollinghurst, S., Taylor, G., Gwynne, M., Peart, C., & Straker-Cook, D. (2005). The costs of care in general practice: Patients compared by the Council Tax Valuation Band of their home address: Family Practice Vol 22(3) Jun 2005, 317-322.
- Beilby, J., & Holton, C. (2005). Chronic disease management in Australia: Evidence and policy mismatch, with asthma as an example: Chronic Illness Vol 1(1) Mar 2005, 73-80.
- Beinecke, R., Pfeifer, R., Pfeiffer, D., & Soussou, N. (1997). The evaluation of fee for service and managed care from the viewpoint of people with disabilities in the USA: Disability and Rehabilitation: An International, Multidisciplinary Journal Vol 19(12) Dec 1997, 513-522.
- Benjamin, G. A. H., & Gollan, J. K. (2003). Phase 1: Pre-evaluation procedures. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Bianconi, J. M., Mahler, J. M., & McFarland, B. H. (2006). Outcomes for Rural Medicaid Clients with Severe Mental Illness in Fee for Service versus Managed Care: Adminstration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research Vol 33(4) Jul 2006, 411-422.
- Bindman, A. B., Chattopadhyay, A., Osmond, D. H., Huen, W., & Bacchetti, P. (2005). The Impact of Medicaid Managed Care on Hospitalizations for Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions: Health Services Research Vol 40(1) Feb 2005, 19-37.
- Birnbach, L. (1999). Funny money: The therapeutic fee and the patients' and analysts' relationship to money in psychotherapy: Issues in Psychoanalytic Psychology Vol 21(1-2) 1999, 21-31.
- Bobek, D. D., & Hatfield, R. C. (2004). Determinants of Tax Professionals' Advice Aggressiveness and Fees. Oxford, England: Elsevier Science Ltd.
- Brannan, A. M., & Heflinger, C. A. (2005). Child Behavioral Health Service Use and Caregiver Strain: Comparison of Managed Care and Fee-For-Service Medicaid Systems: Mental Health Services Research Vol 7(4) Dec 2005, 197-211.
- Brickhouse, T. H., Rozier, R. G., & Slade, G. D. (2006). The Effect of Two Publicly Funded Insurance Programs on Use of Dental Services for Young Children: Health Services Research Vol 41(6) Dec 2006, 2033-2053.
- Bynum, J. P. W., Bernal-Delgado, E., Gottlieb, D., & Fisher, E. (2007). Assigning Ambulatory Patients and Their Physicians to Hospitals: A Method for Obtaining Population-Based Provider Performance Measurements: Health Services Research Vol 42(1, part 1) Feb 2007, 45-62.
- Callaway, M. E., & Hall, J. (2000). Distributive justice in Medicaid capitation: The evidence from Colorado: Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research Vol 27(1) Feb 2000, 87-97.
- Chang, M., Chapman, T. S., Hughes, T. M., & Kauffman, D. K. (2003). The impact of managed care: Comparison of case rate and fee-for-service financing for persons with severe mental illness: Drug Benefit Trends Vol 15(12) Dec 2003, 19-26.
- Christensen, M. C., & Remler, D. (2007). Information and communications technology in chronic disease care: What are the implications for payment? : Medical Care Research and Review Vol 64(2) Apr 2007, 123-147.
- Cole, R. E., Reed, S. K., Babigian, H. M., Brown, S. W., & et al. (1994). A mental health capitation program: I. Patient outcomes: Hospital & Community Psychiatry Vol 45(11) Nov 1994, 1090-1096.
- Coughlin, T. A., & Long, S. K. (2000). Effects of medicaid managed care on adults: Medical Care Vol 38(4) Apr 2000, 433-446.
- Dank, N. R. (2004). No labels: Establishing a fee-for-service drug/alcohol/psychiatric crisis intervention outreach program. Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Davis, K. (2007). Paying for Care Episodes and Care Coordination: New England Journal of Medicine Vol 356(11) Mar 2007, 1166-1168.
- Dimen, M. (2006). Money, love, and hate: Contradiction and paradox in psychoanalysis. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Dixon, L., Turner, J., Krauss, N., Scott, J., & McNary, S. (1999). Case managers' and clients' perspectives on a representative payee program: Psychiatric Services Vol 50(6) Jun 1999, 781-786.
- Doran, T., Fullwood, C., Gravelle, H., Reeves, D., Kontopantelis, E., Hiroeh, U., et al. (2006). Pay-for-Performance Programs in Family Practices in the United Kingdom: New England Journal of Medicine Vol 355(4) Jul 2006, 375-384.
- Dorken, H. (1978). Foundations for Medical Care: Professional Psychology Vol 9(2) May 1978, 175-177.
- Drexler, L. P. (1996). Does money matter? The effect of fee structure on psychotherapy effort and outcome variables. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Druss, B. G., Allen, H. M., Jr., & Bruce, M. L. (1998). Physical health, depressive symptoms, and managed care enrollment: American Journal of Psychiatry Vol 155(7) Jul 1998, 878-882.
- Epstein, A. M. (2006). "Pay-for-Performance Programs in the United Kingdom": The Editorialist Replies: New England Journal of Medicine Vol 355(17) Oct 2006, 1833.
- Epstein, A. M. (2006). Paying for Performance in the United States and Abroad: New England Journal of Medicine Vol 355(4) Jul 2006, 406-408.
- Finkelman, S. (1964). Alternatives: American Psychologist Vol 19(4) Apr 1964, 288.
- Fishel, L., Janzen, C., Bemak, F., Ryan, M., & et al. (1993). A preliminary study of recidivism under managed mental health care: Hospital & Community Psychiatry Vol 44(10) Oct 1993, 919-920.
- Fisher, E. S. (2006). Paying for Performance--Risks and Recommendations: New England Journal of Medicine Vol 355(18) Nov 2006, 1845-1847.
- Fried, B. J., Topping, S., Morrissey, J. P., Ellis, A. R., Stroup, S., & Blank, M. (2000). Comparing provider perceptions of access and utilization management in full-risk and no-risk medicaid programs for adults with serious mental illness: Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research Vol 27(1) Feb 2000, 29-46.
- Gandolfo, R. (2005). Bartering: Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma Vol 11(1-2) 2005, 241-248.
- Geistwhite, R. (2000). Inadequacy and indebtedness: No-fee psychotherapy in county training programs: Journal of Psychotherapy Practice & Research Vol 9(3) Sum 2000, 142-148.
- Goldberg, R. J. (2004). Billing for psychiatric evaluations: options for coding and reimbursement: General Hospital Psychiatry Vol 26(4) Jul-Aug 2004, 296-301.
- Green, S. A. (1999). Is managed care ethical? : General Hospital Psychiatry Vol 21(4) Jul-Aug 1999, 256-259.
- Gullickson, T. (1997). Review of Contracting on a Capitated Basis: Managing Risk for Your Practice: PsycCRITIQUES Vol 42 (6), Jun, 1997.
- Harris, K. E., Grewal, D., Mohr, L. A., & Bernhardt, K. L. (2006). Consumer responses to service recovery strategies: The moderating role of online versus offline environment: Journal of Business Research Vol 59(4) Apr 2006, 425-431.
- Healey, A., & Chisholm, D. (1999). Willingness to pay as a measure of the benefits of mental health care: Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics Vol 2(2) Jun 1999, 55-58.
- Heflinger, C. A., Simpkins, C. G., Scholle, S. H., & Kelleher, K. J. (2004). Parent/caregiver satisfaction with their child's medicaid plan and behavioral health providers: Mental Health Services Research Vol 6(1) Mar 2004, 23-32.
- Holtzman, J., Chen, Q., & Kane, R. (1998). The effect of HMO status on the outcomes of home-care after hospitalization in a Medicare population: Journal of the American Geriatrics Society Vol 46(5) May 1998, 629-634.
- Huhtala, A. (2004). What Price Recreation in Finland?--A Contingent Valuation Study of Non-Market Benefits of Public Outdoor Recreation Areas: Journal of Leisure Research Vol 36(1) 2004, 23-44.
- Iacobucci, D. M. (1997). The ethics of psychology as a business: What is a fair return? : Canadian Psychology/Psychologie Canadienne Vol 38(2) May 1997, 76-86.
- Inkelas, M. (2005). Incentives in a Medicaid Carve-Out: Impact on Children with Special Health Care Needs: Health Services Research Vol 40(1) Feb 2005, 79-99.
- Jacobs, S., Wilk, J., Chen, D., Rae, D., & Steiner, J. (2005). Medicaid as a payer for services provided by psychiatrists: Psychiatric Services Vol 56(11) Nov 2005, 1356.
- Kalisvaart, J. L., & Hergenroeder, A. C. (2007). Hospitalization of patients with eating disorders on adolescent medical units is threatened by current reimbursement systems: International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health Vol 19(2) Apr-Jun 2007, 155-165.
- Kao, A. C., Green, D. C., Zaslavsky, A. M., Koplan, J. P., & Cleary, P. D. (1998). The relationship between method of physician payment and patient trust: JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association Vol 280(19) Nov 1998, 1708-1714.
- Kaplan, A. I. (2005). How a Mental Health Professional Handles Referrals and Fees: Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma Vol 11(1-2) 2005, 263-270.
- Katz, J. N. (2001). Patient preferences and health disparities: JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association Vol 286(12) Sep 2001, 1506-1509.
- Kernick, D. (2005). Editorial: Costing in Primary Care--Is the truth out there? : Family Practice Vol 22(3) Jun 2005, 225-226.
- Keuffel, C. R. (1996). The money metaphor: Therapists' experience with fee transactions with their clients. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Kiser, L. J., Culhane, D. P., & Hadley, T. R. (1995). The current practice of child and adolescent partial hospitalization: Results of a national survey: Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Vol 34(10) Oct 1995, 1336-1342.
- Kolt, L. (1999). How to build a thriving fee-for-service practice: Integrating the healing side with the business side of psychotherapy. San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Kottke, T. E., & Solberg, L. I. (2007). Optimizing practice through research: A preventive services case study: American Journal of Preventive Medicine Vol 33(6) Dec 2007, 505-506.
- Kovacs, A. L. (2001). How to build a fee-for-service practice. Sarasota, FL: Professional Resource Press/Professional Resource Exchange.
- Kunzmann, B., Aldridge, D., Gruber, H., Hamberger, C., & Wichelhaus, B. (2005). The legal framework of care-related flat rate reimbursement: Quality assurance and recording psychosocial performance. Initiatives and developments for art therapies: Musik-, Tanz- und Kunsttherapie Vol 16(2) 2005, 87-94.
- Lasky, E. (1984). Psychoanalysts' and psychotherapists' conflicts about setting fees: Psychoanalytic Psychology Vol 1(4) Fal 1984, 289-300.
- Leff, H. S., Lieberman, M., Mulkern, V., & Raab, B. (1996). Outcome trends for severely mentally ill persons in capitated and case managed mental health programs: Administration and Policy in Mental Health Vol 24(1) Sep 1996, 3-11.
- Leff, H. S., Wieman, D. A., McFarland, B. H., Morrissey, J. P., Rothbard, A., Shern, D. L., et al. (2005). Assessment of Medicaid managed behavioral health care for persons with serious mental illness: Psychiatric Services Vol 56(10) Oct 2005, 1245-1253.
- Leonard, K. L., & Zivin, J. G. (2005). Outcome versus service based payments in health care: Lessons from African traditional healers: Health Economics Vol 14(6) Jun 2005, 575-593.
- Lesaca, T. (1995). Assessing the influence of a no-show fee on patient compliance at a CMCH: Administration and Policy in Mental Health Vol 22(6) Jul 1995, 629-631.
- Lin, E., Chan, B., & Goering, P. (1998). Variations in mental health needs and fee-for-service reimbursement for physicians in Ontario: Psychiatric Services Vol 49(11) Nov 1998, 1445-1451.
- Ludin, J. H. (1996). Money and aspects of acculturation in psychoanalysis, exemplified by Franco-German misunderstandings: Zeitschrift fur Psychoanalytische Theorie und Praxis Vol 11(4) 1996, 409-424.
- Maddux, J. F., Prihoda, T. J., & Desmond, D. P. (1994). Treatment fees and retention on methadone maintenance: Journal of Drug Issues Vol 24(3) Sum 1994, 429-443.
- Marshall, T. (2007). Implementing family psychoeducation in a fee-for-service mental health clinic: American Journal of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Vol 10(2) Apr-Jun 2007, 113-122.
- McBeath, B., & Meezan, W. (2008). Market-based disparities in foster care service provision: Research on Social Work Practice Vol 18(1) Jan 2008, 27-41.
- McCarthy, D. B., Finch, M. D., Cleary, P. D., Zaslavsky, A. M., Green, D. C., Koplan, J. P., et al. (1999). "The relationship between method of physician payment and patient trust": Comment: JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association Vol 281(13) Apr 1999, 1173-1174.
- Miller, L., & Twomey, J. E. (2000). Incoherence incognito: The collapse of the third in a fee-for-service structure: Contemporary Psychoanalysis Vol 36(3) Jul 2000, 427-456.
- Mitchell, J. M., & Gaskin, D. J. (2005). Factors Affecting Plan Choice and Unmet Need among Supplemental Security Income Eligible Children with Disabilities: Health Services Research Vol 40(5, Pt 1) Oct 2005, 1379-1399.
- Moon, J. R. (2001). Establishing a fee-for-service practice in rural settings. Sarasota, FL: Professional Resource Press/Professional Resource Exchange.
- Mulvaney-Day, N. E. (2005). Using Willingness to Pay to Measure Family Members' Preferences in Mental Health: Journal of Mental Health Policy and Economics Vol 8(2) Jun 2005, 71-81.
- Mummalaneni, V., & Gopalakrishna, P. (1997). Access, resource and cost impacts in consumer satisfaction with health care: A comparison across alternative health care modes and time: Journal of Business Research Vol 39(3) Jul 1997, 173-186.
- Myers, K. (2007). Show me the money: (The "problem" of) the therapist's desire, subjectivity, and relationship to the fee: Contemporary Psychoanalysis Vol 44(1) 2007, 118-140.
- Neven, R. S. (1995). Developing a psychotherapy clinic for children, parents and young people at a large paediatric hospital in Australia: Journal of Child Psychotherapy Vol 21(1) Apr 1995, 91-120.
- Newell, A. R., & Saltzman, G. M. (1995). Impact of reimbursement systems on child psychiatrists: A comparison of Canada and the United States: Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Vol 34(10) Oct 1995, 1326-1335.
- Olden, K. W., & Johnson, M. P. (1993). A "facilitated" model of inpatient psychiatric care: Hospital & Community Psychiatry Vol 44(9) Sep 1993, 879-882.
- Pina, D. L. (1998). Medicaid beneficiaries' experiences in HMO and fee-for-service health care: Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved Vol 9(4) Nov 1998, 433-448.
- Plax, T. G. (2006). Raising the Question #2: How Much Are We Worth? Estimating Fee for Services: Communication Education Vol 55(2) Apr 2006, 242-246.
- Popkin, M. K., Lurie, N., Manning, W., Harman, J., Callies, A., Gray, D., et al. (1998). Changes in the process of care for Medicaid patients with schizophrenia in Utah's prepaid mental health plan: Psychiatric Services Vol 49(4) Apr 1998, 518-523.
- Popkin, M. K., Lurie, N., Manning, W., Harman, J., Callies, A., Gray, D., et al. (1998). "Changes in the process of care for Medicaid patients with schizophrenia in Utah's prepaid mental health plan": Reply: Psychiatric Services Vol 49(9) Sep 1998, 1235-1236.
- Rappo, P. D. (1997). Use of the DSM-PC and implications for reimbursement: Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics Vol 18(3) Jun 1997, 175-176.
- Rosenthal, M. B., Landon, B. E., Normand, S.-L. T., Frank, R. G., & Epstein, A. M. (2006). Pay for Performance in Commercial HMOs: New England Journal of Medicine Vol 355(18) Nov 2006, 1895-1902.
- Salamon, M. J. (1983). Comment: Opportunities for Geropsychologists? : American Psychologist Vol 38(5) May 1983, 613.
- Sales, B. D., Miller, M. O., & Hall, S. R. (2005). Initiating Services. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- San Antonio, P. M., Eckert, J. K., & Simon-Rusinowitz, L. (2006). The Importance of Relationship: Elders and Their Paid Family Caregivers in the Arkansas Cash and Counseling Qualitative Study: Journal of Applied Gerontology Vol 25(1) Feb 2006, 31-48.
- Sanderson, A. A. F. (2006). Pay-for-Performance Programs in the United Kingdom: New England Journal of Medicine Vol 355(17) Oct 2006, 1832.
- Schneider, E. C., Cleary, P. D., Zaslavsky, A. M., & Epstein, A. M. (2001). Racial disparity in influenza vaccination: Does managed care narrow the gap between African Americans and Whites? : JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association Vol 286(12) Sep 2001, 1455-1460.
- Schulz, R., Scheckler, W. E., Moberg, D. P., & Jonson, P. R. (1997). Changing nature of physician satisfaction with health maintenance organization and fee-for-service practices: The Journal of Family Practice Vol 45(4) Oct 1997, 321-330.
- Sen, D. (2005). Fee versus royalty reconsidered: Games and Economic Behavior Vol 53(1) Oct 2005, 141-147.
- Shepich, J., Slowiak, J. M., & Keniston, A. (2007). Do subsidization and monitoring enhance adherence to prescribed exercise? : American Journal of Health Promotion Vol 22(1) Sep-Oct 2007, 2-5.
- Shi, L., Thiebaud, P., & McCombs, J. S. (2004). The impact of unrecognized bipolar disorders for patients treated for depression with antidepressants in the fee-for-services California Medicaid (Medi-Cal) program: Journal of Affective Disorders Vol 82(3) Nov 2004, 373-383.
- Shiell, A., & Hawe, P. (2006). Test-retest reliability of willingness to pay: The European Journal of Health Economics Vol 7(3) Sep 2006, 176-181.
- Slutsman, J., Emanuel, L. L., Fairclough, D., Bottorff, D., & Emanuel, E. J. (2002). Managing end-of-life care: Comparing the experiences of terminally ill patients in managed care and fee for service: Journal of the American Geriatrics Society Vol 50(12) Dec 2002, 2077-2083.
- Stevens, M. C. (1998). Utah's capitation plan and the process of care: Psychiatric Services Vol 49(9) Sep 1998, 1235.
- Sturm, R., McGlynn, E. A., Meredith, L. S., Wells, K. B., & et al. (1994). Switches between prepaid and fee-for-service health systems among depressed outpatients: Results from the Medical Outcomes Study: Medical Care Vol 32(9) Sep 1994, 917-929.
- Sturm, R., Meredith, L. S., & Wells, K. B. (1996). Provider choice and continuity for the treatment of depression: Medical Care Vol 34(7) Jul 1996, 723-734.
- Tahrani, A. A., Varughese, G. I., & Macleod, A. F. (2006). "Pay-for-Performance Programs in the United Kingdom": Comment: New England Journal of Medicine Vol 355(17) Oct 2006, 1832-1833.
- Taller, P. S. (2001). Effects of fees on psychotherapy in a community counseling setting. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Tyen, K. H. A. (1999). Audit planning decisions and audit conflict: A cross-cultural empirical analysis of Hong Kong and United States auditors. Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Uili, R. M. (1995). Resident selection in a Connecticut nursing home: A view from within: Journal of Aging and Health Vol 7(1) Feb 1995, 139-159.
- Ware, J. E., Jr., Bayliss, M. S., Rogers, W. H., Kosinski, M., & et al. (1996). Differences in 4-year health outcomes for elderly and poor, chronically ill patients treated in HMO and fee-for-service systems: Results from the Medical Outcomes Study: JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association Vol 276(13) Oct 1996, 1039-1047.
- Wasserman, A. L. (1994). All prepaid health care systems are not equal: Archives of General Psychiatry Vol 51(12) Dec 1994, 1002-1003.
- Wells, K. B., Burnam, M. A., & Camp, P. (1995). Severity of depression in prepaid and fee-for-service general medical and mental health specialty practices: Medical Care Vol 33(4) Apr 1995, 350-364.
- Whitmer, D. A., Hawley, S. R., Orr, S. A., Romain, T. S., & Molgaard, C. A. (2006). Social Networks and Best Practices in Public Health: The Example of Regional Billing Groups: Public Health Nursing Vol 23(6) Nov 2006, 541-546.
- Williams, V., Simons, K., Gramlich, S., McBride, G., Snelham, N., & Myers, B. (2003). Paying the Piper and Calling the Tune? The Relationship Between Parents and Direct Payments for People with Intellectual Disabilities: Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities Vol 16(3) 2003, 219-228.
- Wisner, C. L. (1994). Health plan effects on the health status of Medicare beneficiaries in the twin cities. Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences and Engineering.
- Wright, M. R. (2006). Setting Appropriate Fees: Optometry and Vision Development Vol 37(1) 2006, 19-20.
- Xu, X., & Jensen, G. A. (2006). Health Effects of Managed Care Among the Near-Elderly: Journal of Aging and Health Vol 18(4) Aug 2006, 507-533.