Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Expert patients are live with a long-term health condition, but are able to retain control over their health by understanding and managing their conditions, leading to an improved quality of life.
As the NHS website says - expert patients...
- Feel confident and in control of their lives
- Aim to manage their condition and its treatment in partnership with health care professionals
- Communicate effectively with professionals and are willing to share responsibility on treatment
- Are realistic about the impact of their disease on themselves and their family
- Use their skills and knowledge to lead full lives.
The ability to achieve this is sometimes enhanced by attendance at an Expert Patient Programme.
- Department of Health. The Expert Patient: A new approach to chronic disease management in the 21st Century. The Stationery Office 2001.
- Lorig K, Sobel DS, Stewart AL, Brown BW, Bandura A, Ritter P et al. Evidence suggesting that a chronic disease self-management program can improve health status while reducing hospitalization a randomized trial. Medical Care 1999; 37(1):5-14.
- UK National Primary Care Research and Development Centre,(2006).The National Evaluation of the Pilot Phase of the Expert Patients Programme – Final Report, Dec 2006 Full text