Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Expert patients are live with a long-term health condition, but are able to retain control over their health by understanding and managing their conditions, leading to an improved quality of life.
As the NHS website says - expert patients...
- Feel confident and in control of their lives
- Aim to manage their condition and its treatment in partnership with health care professionals
- Communicate effectively with professionals and are willing to share responsibility on treatment
- Are realistic about the impact of their disease on themselves and their family
- Use their skills and knowledge to lead full lives.
The ability to achieve this is sometimes enhanced by attendance at an Expert Patient Programme.
- Department of Health. The Expert Patient: A new approach to chronic disease management in the 21st Century. The Stationery Office 2001.
- Lorig K, Sobel DS, Stewart AL, Brown BW, Bandura A, Ritter P et al. Evidence suggesting that a chronic disease self-management program can improve health status while reducing hospitalization a randomized trial. Medical Care 1999; 37(1):5-14.
- UK National Primary Care Research and Development Centre,(2006).The National Evaluation of the Pilot Phase of the Expert Patients Programme – Final Report, Dec 2006 Full text