Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Hilgard was born in 1904 in Belleville, Illinois. He attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and earned his BA Degree there. He also studied graduate classes at Yale University, where he met his wife, Josephine Rohrs. After marriage they moved to California and he earned a job at Stanford University.
His papers are held at AHAP
Donald G. Marquis
|Ernest Hilgard elected APA President|
J. P. Guilford
- Hilgard, E. R. (1965). Hypnotic Susceptibility NY, Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc.
- Hilgard, E. R. (1977) Divided Consciousness: Multiple Controls in Human Thought and Action John Wiley & Sons.
- Hilgard, Ernest R. & Hilgard, Josephine R. (1975). Hypnosis in the Relief of Pain. Los Angeles: William Kaufmann.
- Hilgard, E.R. (1987). Psychology in America: A historical survey. San Diego: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich
- Hilgard E R & Marquis D G.(1940). Conditioning and Learning (book).
New York: Appleton-Century,
- Hilgard, E.R. (1953). Introduction to psychology. New York: Harcourt, Brace.
Chapters in Books
- Hilgard, E.R. (1976). Neodissociation theory of multiple cognitive controls. In Schwarz, G.E. and Shapiro, D., eds. Consciouness and self regulation. New York: Plenum Press.
- Hilgard, E.R., Weitzenhoffer, A.M., Landes, J. and Moore, R.K. (1961) The distribution of susceptibility to hypnosis in a student population: a study using the Stanford Hypnotic Susceptibility Scale, Psychological Monographs 75: no. 512.
- Griggs, R.A. and Jackson, S.L. (1996). Forty years of introductory psychology:
An analysis of the first 10 editions of Hilgard et al.’s textbook. Teaching of Psychology, 23 (2), 144-150.
- Vicenta Mestre, M., Tortosa,F. Samper, P. and Nácher,M. J.(2002) Psychology’s Evolution through its texts: Analysis of E. R. Hilgard’s
Introduction to Psychology. Psichothema, Vol. 14, nº 4, pp. 810-815. ISSN 0214 - 9915