Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
There is consistent evidence that between 40-50% of suicides are in people with clinical depression and that up to 15% of individuals with severe major depressive disorder die by suicide. There is a 4-fold increase in death rate of individuals with major depressive disorder over 55 years of age (American Psychiatric Association, 2000).
Prevention of suicide in people with depressionEdit
There are a number of studies evaluating suicide prevention programmes in people with depression.
- Main article: Depression - Prevention of suicide
Genetics and suicideEdit
There has been some recent work linking genetic factors to suicide risk
- Main article: Suicide and depression-Genetics
Key texts – BooksEdit
Additional material – BooksEdit
- American Psychiatric Association :
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 4th ed. Text Revision. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association , 2000
Key texts – PapersEdit
- Beck, A. T., Kovacs, M., and Weissman, A. Hopelessness and suicidal behavior: An overview. Journal of the American Medical Association, 1975, 234, 1146-1149.
- Beck, A. T., and Rush, A. J. Cognitive approaches to depression and suicide.(1978) In G. Serban (Ed.), Cognitive defects in the development of mental illness. New York: Brunner-Mazel, .
- Lonnqvist JK. Psychiatric aspects of suicidal behaviour: depression. In: Hawton K, van Heeringen K, eds. International handbook of suicide and attempted suicide. Chichester: Wiley, 2000:107–120.
- Isometsa ET, Henriksson MM, Aro HM, Heikkinen ME, Kuoppasalmi KI, Lonnqvist JK (1994) Suicide In Major Depression. American Journal of Psychiatry ; 151(4):530-6.
Additional material - PapersEdit
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|