Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A decision is a final product of the specific mental/cognitive process of an individual or a group of persons/organizations which is called decision making, therefore it is a subjective concept. It is a mental object and can be an opinion, a rule or a task for execution/application.
More precisely speaking, a mental object D is a decision if it was obtained by a conscious choice of only one opinion or one action (from a known set called alternatives) and it is designated for an application.
Decisions can also be made by AI computer programs and autonomous robots. That what essentially influence a decision is the set of alternatives available for a decision-maker and choice criteria applied.
In different human activity domains, decision has many local meanings, for example,
- in law,
- in boxing, a result arrived at by the judges
- in professional wrestling, a decision is a means by which a wrestler scores a point against his opponent.
- Specially important decisions are those which have normative long-term or order/task character, and intend to influence different human communities, for example, political decisions.
- Decision-making capacity is considered as a necessary and sufficient attribute of an intelligence, see socio-cognitive engineering.
- Many decisions can be connected in decision trees.