Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
David Canter is a psychologist who pioneered offender profiling in Britain. He was the Professor of Psychology at the University of Surrey for ten years, where he developed investigative psychology and a course curriculum.
- Canter, D. V. and Alison, L. J. (eds.) (1998) Criminal Detection and the Psychology of Crime. The International Library of Criminology, Criminal Justice and Penology. Aldershot: Dartmouth.
Canter, D. (1977) The Psychology of Place, St. Martin's Press, New York,
- Canter, D. (1995) Psychology of Offender Profiling. In R. Bull and D. Carson (eds.) Handbook of Psychology in Legal Contexts. Chapter 4.5, pp 343-335. Chichester: Wiley.
- Brown, J, and Canter, D. (1985) The uses of explanation in the research interview. In: M.Brenner, J. Brown and D. Canter (eds) The Research Interview: Uses and Approaches, London: Academic
- Canter, D. and Tagg, S. (1975) Distance estimation in cities, Environment and Behaviour 7: 59-80.
Canter, D. (1988) To catch A Rapist. New Society, 14-15.
- Canter, D. (1989) Offender Profiles. The Psychologist, vol.2, pp 12-16.
- Canter, D. (1992) An Evaluation of 'Cusum' Stylistic Analysis of Confessions. Expert Evidence, vol.1, pp93-99.
- Canter, D. (1997) Beyond "Profiling": Psychology and the Investigative Process. Forensic Update, issue 48, pp 24-38.
- Canter, D. (1997) Words of Caution. Policing Today, March 12-15.
- Canter, D. and Kremer, M. The Pathology of Trauma. Psychological Autopsy.
- Canter, D. and Fritzon, K. (1998) Differentiating Arsonists: A model of Firesetting Actions and Characteristics. Legal and Criminological Psychology, vol.3, pp 73-96.
- Canter, D. and Gregory, A. (1994) Identifying the Residential Location of Rapists. Journal of the Forensic Science Society, vol.34, pp 169-175.
- Canter, D. and Heritage, R. (1990) A Multivariate Model of Sexual Offence Behaviour: Developments in "Offender profiling". Journal of Forensic Psychiatry, vol.1, pp 185-212.
- Canter, D., Hughes, D., and Kirby, S. (accepted for publication) Paedophilia: Pathology, Criminality, or Both? Developments in "Offender Profiling". Journal of Forensic Psychiatry.
- Canter, D., Missen, C, and Hodge, S. (1997) Are Serial Killers Special? Policing Today
- Canter, D. and Kirby, S. (1995) Prior Convictions of Child Molesters. Science and Justice, vol.35, pp 73-78.
- Canter, D. and Larkin, P. (1993) The Environmental Range of Serial Rapists. Journal of Environmental Psychology, vol.13, pp 93-99.
- Comber, M. and Canter, D. (1983) Differentiation of Malicious and Non-malicious Fire-Alarm Calls Using Multidimensional Scaling. Perceptual and Motor Skills, vol.57, pp 460-462.
- Godwin, M. and Canter, D. (1997) Encounter and Death: The Spatial Behaviour of U.S. Serial Killers. Policing: International Journal of Police Strategy and Management, vol.20, pp 24-38.