Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The true prevalence of the disorder is hard to determine. The DSM notes the sharp rise in reported cases and states that, "Some believe that the greater awareness of the diagnosis among mental health professionals has resulted in the identification of cases that were previously undiagnosed. In contrast, others believe that the syndrome has been overdiagnosed in individuals who are highly suggestive." The DSM does not give a figure. Reports in the literature are often given by advocates for the condition and figures from psychiatric populations (inpatients and outpatients) show a wide diversity from different countries: India (0.015% per year), Switzerland (0.05%-0.1%), China (0.4%), Germany (0.9%), The Netherlands (2%), U.S. (6%, Approx., 6-8%, 10%), and Turkey (14%). Figures from the general population show less diversity: China (0%), Turkey (0.4% for a general sample and 1.1% for a female sample), and Canada (1%).
References & BibliographyEdit
- ↑ American Psychiatric Association (2004) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR (Text Revision). American Psychiatric Association. ISBN 0890420246
- ↑ Adityanjee, Raju GS, Khandelwal SK (1989). Current status of multiple personality disorder in India. The American journal of psychiatry 146 (12): 1607-10.
- ↑ Modestin J (1992). Multiple personality disorder in Switzerland. The American journal of psychiatry 149 (1): 88-92.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Xiao Z, Yan H, Wang Z, et al (2006). Trauma and dissociation in China. The American journal of psychiatry 163 (8): 1388-91.
- ↑ Gast U, Rodewald F, Nickel V, Emrich HM (2001). Prevalence of dissociative disorders among psychiatric inpatients in a German university clinic. J. Nerv. Ment. Dis. 189 (4): 249-57.
- ↑ Friedl MC, Draijer N (2000). Dissociative disorders in Dutch psychiatric inpatients. The American journal of psychiatry 157 (6): 1012-3.
- ↑ Foote B, Smolin Y, Kaplan M, Legatt ME, Lipschitz D (2006). Prevalence of dissociative disorders in psychiatric outpatients. The American journal of psychiatry 163 (4): 623-9.
- ↑ Ross CA, Anderson G, Fleisher WP, Norton GR (1992). Dissociative experiences among psychiatric inpatients. General hospital psychiatry 14 (5): 350-4.
- ↑ Bliss EL, Jeppsen EA (1985). Prevalence of multiple personality among inpatients and outpatients. The American journal of psychiatry 142 (2): 250-1.
- ↑ Sar V, Koyuncu A, Ozturk E, et al (2007). Dissociative disorders in the psychiatric emergency ward. General hospital psychiatry 29 (1): 45-50.
- ↑ Akyüz G, Doğan O, Sar V, Yargiç LI, Tutkun H (1999). Frequency of dissociative identity disorder in the general population in Turkey. Comprehensive psychiatry 40 (2): 151-9.
- ↑ Sar V, Akyüz G, Doğan O (2007). Prevalence of dissociative disorders among women in the general population. Psychiatry research 149 (1-3): 169-76.
- ↑ Ross CA (1991). Epidemiology of multiple personality disorder and dissociation. Psychiatr. Clin. North Am. 14 (3): 503-17.