Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) or Continuing Professional Education (CPE) is the means by which members of professional associations maintain, improve and broaden their knowledge and skills and develop the personal qualities required in their professional lives.In recent years many professional bodies have developed explicit CPD policies and made CPD a requirement for continued membership.
CPD is defined as the holistic commitment to structured skills enhancement and personal or professional competence 
CPD can also be defined as the conscious updating of professional knowledge and the improvement of professional competence throughout a person's working life. It is a commitment to being professional, keeping up to date and continuously seeking to improve.It is the key to optimizing a person's career opportunities, both today and for the future (Chartered Institute of Professional Development (2000)).
- be continuous - professionals should always be looking for ways to improve performance
- be the responsibility of the individual learner to own and manage
- be driven by the learning needs and development of the individual
- be evaluative rather than descriptive of what has taken place
- be an essential component of professional and personal life, never an optional extra
CPD research Edit
There are much research on the use of CPD in different domains. In an article by Mac Van der Merwe and Alta van der Merwe (2008) the authors focus on the personal and situational tensions impacting on the use of a mathematics-friendly interactive online discussion forum environment as a reflective tool for the CPD of advantaged and disadvantaged mathematics teachers in South Africa .
- Continuing education
- Continuing legal education
- CPD - Service managers role
- CPD - The multiprofessional context
- Initial Professional Development
- Professional development
- ↑ DTI (2002) Accelerating Change
- ↑ Marchington. M. and Wilkinson. A. Human Resource Management at Work (People Management & Development) 3rd Edition 2006 London CIPD ISBN 1-84398-062-2
- ↑ Van der Merwe, M; Van der Merwe, Alta; (2008), Online Continuing Professional Development: tensions impacting on the reflective use of a mathematics-friendly forum environment , South African Computer Journal (42).
Key texts – BooksEdit
Golding, L & Gray, I. (2006)(eds) Continuing professional development for clinical psychologists: A practical handbook. Oxford: BPS Blackwell.
Additional material – BooksEdit
Key texts – PapersEdit
Department of Health (UK) (1999) Continuing professional development: quality in the new NHS. London. HMSO Division of Clinical Psychology. (2001). Guidelines for continuing professional development. Leicester. British Psychological Society
Additional material - PapersEdit
- inPractice's free online CPD builder
- CPD Training in the UK
- BPS page coordinating publicity of events in the UKta:தொடர்ச்சியான தொழில்சார் வளர்ச்சி
CPD: Academic support materials