Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
College dropouts pose a substantial problem for college and university administrators. On some courses in the UK dropout rates can be as high as 50% representing a considerable waste of resources
Organizational aspects associated with high dropout ratesEdit
Student qualities associated with dropping outEdit
Programs to reduce dropout ratesEdit
- Allen, W. (1988). Using paraprofessionals as a retention resource. Springfield, IL, England: Charles C Thomas, Publisher.
- Hyman, A. K. (1988). Group work as a teaching strategy in Black student retention in higher education. Springfield, IL, England: Charles C Thomas, Publisher.
- Lang, M. (1988). The Black student retention problem in higher education: Some introductory perspectives. Springfield, IL, England: Charles C Thomas, Publisher.
- Mickey, R. C. (1988). Counseling, advising and mentoring as retention strategies for Black students in higher education. Springfield, IL, England: Charles C Thomas, Publisher.
- Moore, L. (1988). An explanatory model of grade performance and attrition in Intermediate Accounting I. Springfield, IL, England: Charles C Thomas, Publisher.
- Steele, C. M. (1997). Race and the schooling of Black Americans. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Wilkerson, D. W. (1988). The Black Collegian Advisement Program at Kennesaw College: A comprehensive Black student retention model. Springfield, IL, England: Charles C Thomas, Publisher.
- Zurita, M. (2007). Stopping out and persisting: Experiences of Latino undergraduates. Amityville, NY: Baywood Publishing Co
- Aiken, L. R., Jr. (1963). College dropouts and difference scores: Psychological Reports 13(3) 1963, 905-906.
- Akeret, R. U., & Stockhamer, N. (1965). Countertransference reactions to college drop-outs: American Journal of Psychotherapy 19(4) 1965, 622-632.
- Alexander, L. (1982). Do theoretical models of persistence and withdrawal suggest new solutions? : Psychology: A Journal of Human Behavior Vol 19(2-3) 1982, 1-4.
- Alfert, E. (1966). Housing selection, need satisfaction and dropout from college: Psychological Reports 19(1) 1966, 183-186.
- Allard, W. G., Dodd, J. M., & Peralez, E. (1987). Keeping LD students in college: Academic Therapy Vol 22(4) Mar 1987, 359-365.
- Artem'yeva, Y. Y., & Paramey, G. V. (1989). Structures of the motivations to teach of dropouts from a teacher's college: Method: Vestnik Moskovskogo Universiteta - Seriya 14: Psikhologiya No 1 Jan-Mar 1989, 52-56.
- Astin, A. W. (1964). Personal and environmental factors associated with college dropouts among high aptitude students: Journal of Educational Psychology Vol 55(4) Aug 1964, 219-227.
- Astin, A. W. (1968). Dropping out of College: Failure or Fulfillment? : PsycCRITIQUES Vol 13 (12), Dec, 1968.
- Bank, B. J., Biddle, B. J., & Slavings, R. L. (1992). What do students want? Expectations and undergraduate persistence: Sociological Quarterly Vol 33(3) Fal 1992, 321-335.
- Barrineau, P. (2005). Personality Types Among Undergraduates who Withdraw from Liberal Arts Colleges: Journal of Psychological Type Vol 65(4) Oct 2005, 27-32.
- Bean, A. G., & Covert, R. W. (1973). Prediction of college persistence, withdrawal, and academic dismissal: A discriminant analysis: Educational and Psychological Measurement Vol 33(2) Sum 1973, 407-411.
- Bean, J. P. (1982). Student attrition, intentions, and confidence: Interaction effects in a path model: Research in Higher Education Vol 17(4) 1982, 291-320.
- Bean, J. P. (1985). Interaction effects based on class level in an explanatory model of college student dropout syndrome: American Educational Research Journal Vol 22(1) Spr 1985, 35-64.
- Bee, R. H., & Beronja, T. A. (1984). Predicting student attrition through the utilization of discriminant analysis: College Student Journal Vol 18(4) Win 1984, 314-326.
- Beit-Hallahmi, B. (1972). A problem profile of university underclassmen: College Student Journal Vol 6(2) Apr 1972, 124-128.
- Bennett, C. (1984). Interracial contact experience and attrition among Black undergraduates at a predominantly White university: Theory and Research in Social Education Vol 12(2) Sum 1984, 19-47.
- Bishop, J. B., & Brenneman, K. A. (1986). An initial assessment of a counseling center's role in retention: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 27(5) Sep 1986, 461-462.
- Blanc, R. A., DeBuhr, L. E., & Martin, D. C. (1983). Breaking the attrition cycle: The effects of supplemental instruction on undergraduate performance and attrition: Journal of Higher Education Vol 54(1) Jan-Feb 1983, 80-90.
- Block, J., & Lanning, K. (1984). Attribution therapy requestioned: A secondary analysis of the Wilson-Linville study: Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Vol 46(3) Mar 1984, 705-708.
- Bossel, H. (1974). College student and dropout problem: A qualitative dynamic simulation: Instructional Science Vol 3(1) Apr 1974, 23-50.
- Brandt-Williams, A. (1996). Predictors of unintentional institutional departure in community college students. Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Braxton, J. M., Bray, N. J., & Berger, J. B. (2000). Faculty teaching skills and their influence on the college student departure process: Journal of College Student Development Vol 41(2) Mar-Apr 2000, 215-227.
- Brimm, J., & Achilles, C. M. (1976). The reverse transfer student: A growing factor in higher education: Research in Higher Education Vol 4(4) 1976, 355-360.
- Bron, G. D., & Gordon, M. P. (1986). Impact of an orientation center on grade point average and attrition: College Student Journal Vol 20(3) Fal 1986, 242-246.
- Brooks, W., & Emery, L. (1974). College dropouts: A view from two schools: Canadian Counsellor Vol 8(3) Jun 1974, 146-151.
- Brown, S. E., & Ervin, L. (1979). Relationship of special studies to dropout rates of Black and White college students: Psychological Reports Vol 44(1) Feb 1979, 73-74.
- Burbach, H. J., & Thompson, M. A. (1973). Note on alienation, race, and college attrition: Psychological Reports Vol 33(1) Aug 1973, 273-274.
- Burke, J., Cartwright, N., & Moris, E. (1986). Progress reports: Improving freshman retention: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 27(5) Sep 1986, 462-464.
- Cangemi, J. P. (1980). Some observations concerning interpersonal relations on the college campus and declining enrollment: Journal of Instructional Psychology Vol 7(2) Win 1980, 50-52.
- Caracelli, V. J. (1989). Adult women in college: Stability and change in identity and personality: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Carney, M. L. (1979). Toward a typology of male and female persisters and nonpersisters: A four-year longitudinal study: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Carroll, J. (1986). Factors affecting academic success and dropout behavior among Black freshman students at a predominantly Black urban community college: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Carter, G. F. (1987). Factors related to college attrition: A validation of the Tinto model of college withdrawal at three class levels: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Chambers, J. L., Barger, B., & Lieberman, L. R. (1965). Need patterns and abilities of college dropouts: Educational and Psychological Measurement 25(2) 1965, 509-516.
- Chandler, T. A., Cosner, T., & Spies, C. A. (1979). Anxiety and attribution as predictors of non-completion of a course: Psychological Reports Vol 45(2) Oct 1979, 413-414.
- Chapman, D. W., & Pascarella, E. T. (1983). Predictors of academic and social integration of college students: Research in Higher Education Vol 19(3) 1983, 295-322.
- Congemi, J. P. (1979). The impact of the college experience on some students: Journal of Instructional Psychology Vol 6(2) Spr 1979, 10-11.
- Cope, R. C. (1972). Are students more likely to drop out of large colleges? : College Student Journal Vol 6(2) Apr 1972, 92-97.
- Dalton, S., Anastasiow, M., & Brigman, S. L. (1977). The relationship of underachievement and college attrition: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 18(6) Nov 1977, 501-505.
- Danermark, B. (1995). Persistence and academic and social integration of hearing-impaired students in postsecondary education: A review of research: Journal of the American Deafness & Rehabilitation Association Vol 29(2) Fal 1995, 20-33.
- Daubman, K. A., Williams, V. G., Johnson, D. H., & Crump, D. (1985). Time of withdrawal and academic performance: Implications for withdrawal policies: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 26(6) Nov 1985, 518-524.
- Day, V. H. (1982). Validity of an attributional model for a specific life event: Psychological Reports Vol 50(2) Apr 1982, 434.
- DeBerard, M. S., Spielmans, G. I., & Julka, D. L. (2004). Predictors of academic achievement and retention among college freshmen: A longitudinal study: College Student Journal Vol 38(1) Mar 2004, 66-80.
- DeVecchio, R. C. (1972). Characteristics of nonreturning community college freshmen: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 13(5) Sep 1972, 429-432.
- Di Cesare, A. C., Sedlacek, W. E., & Brooks, G. C. (1972). Nonintellectual correlates of black student attrition: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 13(4) Jul 1972, 319-324.
- Dollar, R. J. (1983). Selected factors for retention counseling with College of Education students: College Student Journal Vol 17(4) Win 1983, 410-413.
- Dollar, R. J. (1985). Attrition of college education students: A discriminant analysis: College Student Journal Vol 19(2) Sum 1985, 152-156.
- Dudley, J. R. (1978). A remedial skills course for under-prepared college students: Journal of Educational Research Vol 71(3) Jan-Feb 1978, 143-148.
- Duncan, R. D. (2000). Childhood maltreatment and college drop-out rates: Implications for child abuse researchers: Journal of Interpersonal Violence Vol 15(9) Sep 2000, 987-995.
- Eckland, B. K. (1964). College dropouts who came back: Harvard Educational Review 34(3) 1964, 402-420.
- Edwards, J. E., & Waters, L. K. (1982). Involvement, ability, performance, and satisfaction as predictors of college attrition: Educational and Psychological Measurement Vol 42(4) Win 1982, 1149-1152.
- Edwards, J. E., & Waters, L. K. (1983). Predicting university attrition: A replication and extension: Educational and Psychological Measurement Vol 43(1) Spr 1983, 233-236.
- Erffmeyer, R. C., & Erffmeyer, E. S. (1983). An application of a realistic job preview in an instructional setting: Psychological Reports Vol 53(3, Pt 1) Dec 1983, 939-944.
- Fanai, F. (1971). Psychological problems of foreign students in Germany: Psychotherapie Psychosomatik Medizinische Psychologie Vol 21(3) May 1971, 100-107.
- Flannery, R. B. (1972). Use of covert conditioning in the behavioral treatment of a drug-dependent college dropout: Journal of Counseling Psychology Vol 19(6) Nov 1972, 547-550.
- Fox, R. N. (1986). Application of a conceptual model of college withdrawal to disadvantaged students: American Educational Research Journal Vol 23(3) Fal 1986, 415-424.
- Garza, C., & Landeck, M. (2004). College Freshmen at Risk-Social Problems at Issue: An Exploratory Study of a Texas/Mexico Border Community College: Social Science Quarterly Vol 85(5) Dec 2004, 1390-1400.
- Gerard, K., Palyska, M., & Wysocka, A. (1976). Psychiatric disorders as obstacles in academic life: Psychiatria Polska Vol 10(2) 1976, 165-172.
- Gerberich, S. G., Gibson, R. W., Fife, D., Mandel, J. S., Aeppli, D., Le, C. T., et al. (1997). Effects of brain injury on college academic performance: Neuroepidemiology Vol 16(1) Jan-Feb 1997, 1-14.
- Getzlaf, S. B., Sedlacek, G. M., Kearney, K. A., & Blackwell, J. M. (1984). Two types of voluntary undergraduate attrition: Application of Tinto's model: Research in Higher Education Vol 20(3) 1984, 257-268.
- Gibson, H. B. (1979). The British Study of Values: I. Prediction of drop-out from a psychology degree course: British Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology Vol 18(1) Feb 1979, 29-34.
- Giddan, N. S., & Weiss, S. J. (1990). Costs and effectiveness of counseling center dropout prevention: Journal of College Student Development Vol 31(2) Mar 1990, 100-107.
- Giles-Gee, H. F. (1989). Increasing the retention of Black students: A multimethod approach: Journal of College Student Development Vol 30(3) May 1989, 196-200.
- Glenn, L., Rollins, N., & Smith, B. (1990). The retention and attrition of American College Test scholars: Journal of College Student Development Vol 31(3) May 1990, 280-281.
- Glennen, R. E. (1976). Intrusive college counseling: School Counselor Vol 24(1) Sep 1976, 48-50.
- Glogowska, M., Young, P., & Lockyer, L. (2007). Should I go or should I stay?: A study of factors influencing students' decisions on early leaving: Active Learning in Higher Education Vol 8(1) Mar 2007, 63-77.
- Gloria, A. M., Castellanos, J., Lopez, A. G., & Rosales, R. (2005). An Examination of Academic Nonpersistence Decisions of Latino Undergraduates: Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences Vol 27(2) May 2005, 202-223.
- Gold, A., & Kloft, C. (1991). Dropout from university studies: An analysis of causes and reasons: Zeitschrift fur Entwicklungspsychologie und Padagogische Psychologie Vol 23(4) 1991, 265-279.
- Gomez-Maqueo, E. L., & Labastida Villegas, M. L. (1993). Personality traits associated with dropout rates of medical students: Revista Mexicana de Psicologia Vol 10(1) Jan-Jun 1993, 57-62.
- Gosman, E. J., Dandridge, B. A., Nettles, M. T., & Thoeny, A. R. (1983). Predicting student progression: The influence of race and other student and institutional characteristics on college student performance: Research in Higher Education Vol 18(2) 1983, 209-236.
- Gough, H. G., & Hall, W. B. (1975). An attempt to predict graduation from medical school: Journal of Medical Education Vol 50(10) Oct 1975, 940-950.
- Hansen, W. B., & Altman, I. (1976). Decorating personal places: A descriptive analysis: Environment and Behavior Vol 8(4) Dec 1976, 491-504.
- Heilbrun, A. B., Jr. (1962). Prediction of first year college drop-outs, using ACL need scales: Journal of Counseling Psychology Vol 9(1) Spr 1962, 58-63.
- Hendrix, W. F., & Nelson, W. J. (1986). Recruitment: A significant and overlooked component of Black college survival: Western Journal of Black Studies Vol 10(2) Sum 1986, 55-58.
- Holahan, C. K., Green, J. L., & Kelley, H. P. (1983). A 6-year longitudinal analysis of transfer student performance and retention: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 24(4) Jul 1983, 305-310.
- Houck, R. L., & Dawson, J. G. (1978). Comparative study of persisters and leavers in seminary training: Psychological Reports Vol 42(3, Pt 2) Jun 1978, 1131-1137.
- House, J. D. (1992). The relationship between perceived task competence, achievement expectancies, and school withdrawal of academically underprepared adolescent students: Child Study Journal Vol 22(4) 1992, 253-272.
- House, J. D. (1993). The relationship between academic self-concept and school withdrawal: Journal of Social Psychology Vol 133(1) Feb 1993, 125-127.
- House, J. D., & Wohlt, V. (1991). Effect of tutoring on voluntary school withdrawal of academically underprepared minority students: Journal of School Psychology Vol 29(2) Sum 1991, 135-142.
- Ionescu, S., & Bosse, M. (1987). Students' psychological disorders and academic achievement: Annales Medico-Psychologiques Vol 145(2) Feb 1987, 133-143.
- Iwai, S. I., & Churchill, W. D. (1982). College attrition and the financial support systems of students: Research in Higher Education Vol 17(2) 1982, 105-113.
- Jarman, C. (1976). Education as a dimension of status incongruence between parents and the self perceptions of college students: Sociology of Education Vol 49(3) Jul 1976, 218-222.
- Johansson, C. B., & Rossmann, J. E. (1973). Persistance at a liberal arts college: A replicated, five-year longitudinal study: Journal of Counseling Psychology Vol 20(1) Jan 1973, 1-9.
- Johnson, G. M. (1994). Undergraduate student attrition: A comparison of the characteristics of students who withdraw and students who persist: Alberta Journal of Educational Research Vol 40(3) Sep 1994, 337-353.
- Johnson, J. L. (1997). Commuter college students: What factors determine who will persist and who will drop out? : College Student Journal Vol 31(3) Sep 1997, 323-332.
- Johnson, W. G., Zlotlow, S., Berger, J. L., & Croft, R. G. (1975). A traditional lecture versus a PSI course in personality: Some comparisons: Teaching of Psychology Vol 2(4) Dec 1975, 156-158.
- Kahn, M., & Kulick, F. (1975). Relationship of drug involvement to dropping out of college: Psychological Reports Vol 37(3, Pt 2) Dec 1975, 1095-1098.
- Kamens, D. H. (1978). College and peer groups: Organizational processes affecting cultural differentiation: College Student Journal Vol 12(1) Spr 1978, 107-118.
- Kiersch, T. A., & Nikelly, A. G. (1966). The schizophrenic in college: Archives of General Psychiatry 15(1) 1966, 54-58.
- Kirby, D., & Sharpe, D. (2001). Student attrition from Newfoundland and Labrador's public college: Alberta Journal of Educational Research Vol 47(4) Win 2001, 353-368.
- Kohen, A. I., Nestel, G., & Karmas, C. (1978). Factors affecting individual persistence rates in undergraduate college programs: American Educational Research Journal Vol 15(2) Spr 1978, 233-252.
- Kohn, M., & Levenson, E. A. (1966). Differences between accepted and rejected patients in a treatment project of college dropouts: Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied 63(1) 1966, 143-156.
- Krishnan, K. S., & Clelland, R. C. (1973). Selection of undergraduate freshmen using discriminant analysis: Journal of Experimental Education Vol 41(3) Spr 1973, 28-36.
- Lang, M. (1986). Black student retention at Black colleges and universities: Problems, issues, and alternatives: Western Journal of Black Studies Vol 10(2) Sum 1986, 48-54.
- Laws, J. E., Jr. (1999). The influence of Upward Bound on freshman grade point average, drop-out rates, mathematics performance, and English performance: Western Journal of Black Studies Vol 23(3) Fal 1999, 139-143.
- Lecompte, D., Kaufman, L., & Rousseeuw, P. (1983). Search for the relationship between interrupted university attendance of first year students and some psychosocial factors: Acta Psychiatrica Belgica Vol 83 1983, 609-617.
- Lee, J. L. (1971). Seminary persisters and leavers: Counseling and Values Vol 16(1) Fal 1971, 39-45.
- Letchworth, G. E., & Bleidt, P. (1983). Intrusive counseling with students placed on academic warning: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 24(5) Sep 1983, 456-458.
- Levy, Y. (2007). Comparing dropouts and persistence in e-learning courses: Computers & Education Vol 48(2) Feb 2007, 185-204.
- Lichtman, C. M., Bass, A. R., & Ager, J. W. (1989). Differences between Black and White students in attrition patterns from an urban commuter university: Journal of College Student Development Vol 30(1) Jan 1989, 4-10.
- Liu, R. (1982). A statistical note on attrition studies: College Student Journal Vol 16(2) Sum 1982, 193-197.
- Loeb, J., & Bowers, J. (1973). Programs of study as a basis for selection, placement and guidance of college students: Journal of Educational Measurement Vol 10(2) Sum 1973, 131-139.
- Lonnquist, D. E. (1979). Employment rates among severely physically disabled and nondisabled college graduates and dropouts: Journal of Applied Rehabilitation Counseling Vol 10(1) Spr 1979, 24-27.
- Lueptow, L. B. (1973). Need for achievement and continuation in college: Psychological Reports Vol 33(2) Oct 1973, 455-458.
- Marsh, L. M. (1966). College dropouts: A review: Personnel & Guidance Journal 44(5) 1966, 475-481.
- Maudal, G. R., Butcher, J. N., & Mauger, P. A. (1974). A multivariate study of personality and academic factors in college attrition: Journal of Counseling Psychology Vol 21(6) Nov 1974, 560-567.
- McDavis, R. J., Molden, I. T., & Wilson, S. R. (1989). Summer programs: A method for retaining Black graduate students: Journal of College Student Development Vol 30(3) May 1989, 272-274.
- McIntosh, B. M., Wilson, L. N., & Lipinski, B. G. (1974). The extent and nature of student attrition in the first five years at Simon Fraser University: Canadian Counsellor Vol 8(3) Jun 1974, 163-174.
- Mercer, D. L. (1993). Older coeds: Predicting who will stay this time: Journal of Research & Development in Education Vol 26(3) Spr 1993, 153-163.
- Metzner, B. S. (1989). Perceived quality of academic advising: The effect on freshman attrition: American Educational Research Journal Vol 26(3) Fal 1989, 422-442.
- Moores, K., & Klas, L. D. (1989). Comparing personal, social, and institutional variables for university dropouts and those who persist: College Student Journal Vol 23(1) Spr 1989, 16-22.
- Morrison, J. L. (1973). Why the disadvantaged drop out: The administrators' view: College Student Journal Vol 7(2) Apr 1973, 54-56.
- Munro, B. H. (1981). Dropouts from higher education: Path analysis of a national sample: American Educational Research Journal Vol 18(2) Sum 1981, 133-141.
- Narcus, M., Zax, M., Pratt, D. M., & Clarfield, S. P. (1977). General fund of information and college attrition: Journal of the American College Health Association Vol 25(3) Feb 1977, 190-192.
- Neumann, Y., & Finaly-Neumann, E. (1989). Predicting juniors' and seniors' persistence and attrition: A quality of learning experience approach: Journal of Experimental Education Vol 57(2) Win 1989, 129-140.
- Newman, F. L., & et al. (1974). Initial attitude differences among successful, procrastinating, and "withdrawn-from-course" students in a personalized system of statistics instruction: Journal for Research in Mathematics Education Vol 5(2) Mar 1974, 105-113.
- Notz, W. W. (1977). A failure of common sense: An empirical study of the impact of the draft on college disenrollment decisions: Journal of Applied Psychology Vol 62(4) Aug 1977, 517-520.
- Ochberg, R. L. (1986). College dropouts: The developmental logic of psychosocial moratoria: Journal of Youth and Adolescence Vol 15(4) Aug 1986, 287-302.
- Okun, M. A., Ruehlman, L., & Karoly, P. (1991). Application of investment theory to predicting part-time community college student intent and institutional persistence/departure behavior: Journal of Educational Psychology Vol 83(2) Jun 1991, 212-220.
- Okun, M. A., Weir, R. M., Richards, T. A., & Benin, M. H. (1990). Credit load as a moderator of the intent-turnover relation among community college students: Journal of Experimental Education Vol 58(3) Spr 1990, 213-222.
- Pandey, R. E. (1972). Personality characteristics of successful, dropout, and probationary black and white university students: Journal of Counseling Psychology Vol 19(5) Sep 1972, 382-386.
- Pandey, R. E. (1974). Intellectual characteristics of successful, dropout, and probationary black and white university students: Psychological Reports Vol 34(3, Pt 1) Jun 1974, 951-953.
- Pascarella, E. T. (1986). A program for research and policy development on student persistence at the institutional level: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 27(2) Mar 1986, 100-107.
- Pascarella, E. T., & Chapman, D. W. (1983). A multiinstitutional, path analytic validation of Tinto's model of college withdrawal: American Educational Research Journal Vol 20(1) Spr 1983, 87-102.
- Pascarella, E. T., & Chapman, D. W. (1983). Validation of a theoretical model of college withdrawal: Interaction effects in a multi-institutional sample: Research in Higher Education Vol 19(1) 1983, 25-48.
- Pascarella, E. T., Duby, P. B., & Iverson, B. K. (1983). A test and reconceptualization of a theoretical model of college withdrawal in a commuter institution setting: Sociology of Education Vol 56(2) Apr 1983, 88-100.
- Pascarella, E. T., Duby, P. B., Miller, V. A., & Rasher, S. P. (1981). Preenrollment variables and academic performance as predictors of freshman year persistence, early withdrawal, and stopout behavior in an urban, nonresidential university: Research in Higher Education Vol 15(4) 1981, 329-349.
- Pascarella, E. T., & Terenzini, P. T. (1977). Patterns of student-faculty informal interaction beyond the classroom and voluntary freshman attrition: Journal of Higher Education Vol 48(5) Sep-Oct 1977, 540-552.
- Pascarella, E. T., & Terenzini, P. T. (1983). Predicting voluntary freshman year persistence/withdrawal behavior in a residential university: A path analytic validation of Tinto's model: Journal of Educational Psychology Vol 75(2) Apr 1983, 215-226.
- Pedrini, B. C., & Pedrini, D. T. (1978). Evaluating experimental and control programs for attrition/persistence: Journal of Educational Research Vol 71(4) Mar-Apr 1978, 234-237.
- Pedrini, B. C., & Pedrini, D. T. (1986). Attrition/persistence: Stepwise multiple predictors for disadvantaged and control freshmen: Journal of Instructional Psychology Vol 13(3) Sep 1986, 131-134.
- Peng, S. S., & Fetters, W. B. (1978). Variables involved in withdrawal during the first two years of college: Preliminary findings from the National Longitudinal Study of the High School Class of 1972: American Educational Research Journal Vol 15(3) Sum 1978, 361-372.
- Piotrowski, C., & Perdue, B. (1998). Factors in attrition of Black students at a predominantly Euro-American university: Psychological Reports Vol 83(1) Aug 1998, 113-114.
- Pizzolato, J. E. (2003). Developing self-authorship: Exploring the experiences of high-risk college students: Journal of College Student Development Vol 44(6) Nov-Dec 2003, 797-812.
- Polansky, J., Horan, J. J., & Hanish, C. (1993). Experimental construct validity of the outcomes of study skills training and career counseling as treatments for the retention of at-risk students: Journal of Counseling & Development Vol 71(5) May-Jun 1993, 488-492.
- Raderman, R., & Allen, D. V. (1974). Registered nurse students in a baccalaureate program: Factors associated with completion: Nursing Research Vol 23(1) Jan 1974, 71-73.
- Rickinson, B., & Rutherford, D. (1996). Systematic monitoring of the adjustment to university of undergraduates: A strategy for reducing withdrawal rates: British Journal of Guidance & Counselling Vol 24(2) Jun 1996, 213-225.
- Riviere, B. (1999). The psychosocial process of college dropout: The CEGEP experience: Canadian Journal of Counselling Vol 33(4) Oct 1999, 277-292.
- Rosado Chauvet, M. A. (1983). Indecision as a cause of dropping out of school: Ensenanza e Investigacion en Psicologia Vol 9(1) Jan-Jun 1983, 50-52.
- Rose, H. A., & Elton, C. F. (1966). Another look at the college dropout: Journal of Counseling Psychology Vol 13(2) Sum 1966, 242-245.
- Rotter, N. G. (1988). Student attrition in a technological university: Academic lifestyle: College Student Journal Vol 22(3) Fal 1988, 241-248.
- Royjier-Poncefonte Mack, F. (1973). Predicting college persistence for educational opportunity students: Psychology: A Journal of Human Behavior Vol 10(1) Feb 1973, 14-28.
- Ruthig, J. C., Perry, R. P., Hall, N. C., & Hladkyj, S. (2004). Optimism and attributional retraining: Longitudinal effects on academic achievement, test anxiety, and voluntary course withdrawal in college students: Journal of Applied Social Psychology Vol 34(4) Apr 2004, 709-730.
- Ryland, E. B., Riordan, R. J., & Brack, G. (1994). Selected characteristics of high-risk students and their enrollment persistence: Journal of College Student Development Vol 35(1) Jan 1994, 54-58.
- Sagy, S. (2000). Factors influencing early dropout: The case of Russian immigrant students attending an Israeli university: Journal of Applied Behavioral Science Vol 36(3) Sep 2000, 362-375.
- Sailes, G. A. (1993). An investigation of Black student attrition at a large, predominantly White, midwestern university: Western Journal of Black Studies Vol 17(4) Win 1993, 179-182.
- Savitz, F. R., & Walls, A. (1986). A study of the relationship between utilization patterns of support services and the attrition and retention rates of Black college students: Psychology: A Journal of Human Behavior Vol 23(4) 1986, 12-23.
- Schliebner, C. T. (1992). Returning adult women students: The effects of role strain and perceived spouse support on the intent to remain in college: Dissertation Abstracts International.
- Schurr, K. T., Ellen, A. S., & Ruble, V. E. (1987). Actual course difficulty as a factor in accounting for the achievement and attrition of college students: Educational and Psychological Measurement Vol 47(4) Win 1987, 1049-1054.
- Searight, H. R., & Openlander, P. (1986). Family environments of continuing and noncontinuing college students: Psychological Reports Vol 59(1) Aug 1986, 299-302.
- Selby, J. E. (1973). Relationships existing among race, student financial aid, and persistence in college: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 14(1) Jan 1973, 38-40.
- Semb, G., Glick, D. M., & Spencer, R. E. (1979). Student withdrawals and delayed work patterns in self-paced psychology courses: Teaching of Psychology Vol 6(1) Feb 1979, 23-25.
- Shaffer, P. E. (1973). Academic progress of disadvantaged minority students: A two-year study: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 14(1) Jan 1973, 41-46.
- Smart, J. C., & Pascarella, E. T. (1987). Influences on the intention to reenter higher education: Journal of Higher Education Vol 58(3) May-Jun 1987, 306-322.
- Smith, A. D. (1982). Cross validation and discriminative analysis techniques in a college student attrition application: College Student Journal Vol 16(2) Sum 1982, 134-143.
- Smith, A. D. (1982). A study of sex differences among student persisters and nonpersisters enrolled in a major urban university: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 23(6) Nov 1982, 538-539.
- Smith, A. D. (1984). Discriminative analysis technique to assess selection bias in a college student attrition survey: College Student Journal Vol 18(4) Win 1984, 390-396.
- Smith, A. D. (1984). Sex differences among community and technical college persisters and non-persisters: College Student Journal Vol 18(1) Spr 1984, 60-65.
- Spaights, E., Dixon, H. E., & Nickolai, S. (1985). Racism in higher education: College Student Journal Vol 19(1) Spr 1985, 17-22.
- Stage, F. K. (1989). Motivation, academic and social integration, and the early dropout: American Educational Research Journal Vol 26(3) Fal 1989, 385-402.
- Starr, A., Betz, E. L., & Menne, J. (1972). Differences in college student satisfaction: Academic dropouts, nonacademic dropouts and nondropouts: Journal of Counseling Psychology Vol 19(4) Jul 1972, 318-322.
- Steele, G. E., Kennedy, G. J., & Gordon, V. N. (1993). The retention of major changers: A longitudinal study: Journal of College Student Development Vol 34(1) Jan 1993, 58-62.
- Stoecker, J., Pascarella, E. T., & Wolfle, L. M. (1988). Persistence in higher education: A 9-year test of a theoretical model: Journal of College Student Development Vol 29(3) May 1988, 196-209.
- Strean, H. S. (1979). Some reflections on therapeutic work with the college dropout: Psychoanalytic Review Vol 66(2) 1979, 201-214.
- Suen, H. K. (1983). Alienation and attrition of Black college students on a predominantly White campus: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 24(2) Mar 1983, 117-121.
- Szulecka, T. K., Springett, N. R., & de Pauw, K. W. (1987). General health, psychiatric vulnerability and withdrawal from university in first-year undergraduates: British Journal of Guidance & Counselling Vol 15(1) Jan 1987, 82-91.
- Tambe, J. T. (1984). Predicting persistence and withdrawal of open admissions students at Virginia State University: Journal of Negro Education Vol 53(4) Fal 1984, 406-417.
- Terenzini, P. T., & Pascarella, E. T. (1977). Voluntary freshman attrition and patterns of social and academic integration in a university: A test of a conceptual model: Research in Higher Education Vol 6(1) Mar 1977, 25-43.
- Terenzini, P. T., & Pascarella, E. T. (1978). The relation of students' precollege characteristics and freshman year experience to voluntary attrition: Research in Higher Education Vol 9(4) 1978, 347-366.
- Thayer, R. E. (1973). Do low grades cause college students to give up? : Journal of Experimental Education Vol 41(3) Spr 1973, 71-73.
- Timmons, F. R. (1977). Freshman withdrawal from college: An empirical examination of the usefulness of "autopsy studies." Psychological Reports Vol 41(2) Oct 1977, 672-674.
- Timmons, F. R. (1977). Incidence of withdrawal from college: An examination of some misconceptions: Perceptual and Motor Skills Vol 45(2) Oct 1977, 651-654.
- Timmons, F. R. (1978). Freshman withdrawal from college: A positive step toward identity formation? A follow-up study: Journal of Youth and Adolescence Vol 7(2) Jun 1978, 159-173.
- Tinto, V. (1982). Limits of theory and practice in student attrition: Journal of Higher Education Vol 53(6) Nov-Dec 1982, 687-700.
- Tyler, D., & Small, J. M. (1990). Persistence of college transfer students: Alberta Journal of Educational Research Vol 36(2) Jun 1990, 181-188.
- Valine, W. J. (1976). A four-year follow-up study of underachieving college freshmen: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 17(4) Jul 1976, 309-312.
- Vander Well, A., & Sartoris, P. C. (1973). Study of withdrawing students for the University of Alberta 1970-1971 session: Canadian Counsellor Vol 7(1) Jan 1973, 40-48.
- Vidovic, V., & Broz, V. (2003). "Ordinary" people in family therapy: Case report: Socijalna Psihijatrija Vol 31(3) Sep 2003, 163-168.
- Watkins, D. (1982). Testing the validity of a model of student progress at an Australian university: Educational and Psychological Measurement Vol 42(2) Sum 1982, 571-574.
- Watley, D. J. (1965). The Minnesota Counseling Inventory and Persistence in an Institute of Technology: Journal of Counseling Psychology Vol 12(1) Spr 1965, 94-97.
- Watson, G., Johnson, G. C., & Austin, H. (2004). Exploring relatedness to field of study as an indicator of student retention: Higher Education Research & Development Vol 23(1) Feb 2004, 57-72.
- Weidman, J. C., & White, R. N. (1985). Postsecondary "high-tech" training for women on welfare: Correlates of program completion: Journal of Higher Education Vol 56(5) Sep-Oct 1985, 555-568.
- Weiner, E., & Wiener, J. (1997). University students with psychiatric illness: Factors involved in the decision to withdraw from their studies: Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal Vol 20(4) Spr 1997, 88-91.
- Werman, D. S., & Lipper, S. (1976). College dropouts in a psychiatric outpatient department: Journal of the American College Health Association Vol 24(4) Apr 1976, 239-241.
- White, W. F., & Bigham, W. D. (1983). Increase of college retention by an information systems approach to instruction: Psychological Reports Vol 52(1) Feb 1983, 306.
- Wilder, J. R. (1983). Retention in higher education: Psychology: A Journal of Human Behavior Vol 20(2) 1983, 4-9.
- Williams, E. E., Gallas, J. A., & Quiriconi, S. (1984). Addressing the problem of dropouts among graduate students: Journal of College Student Personnel Vol 25(2) Mar 1984, 173-174.
- Wright, J. C. (1976). The SVIB academic achievement score and college attrition: Measurement & Evaluation in Guidance Vol 8(4) Jan 1976, 258-259.
- Young, R. B., Backer, R., & Rogers, G. (1989). The impact of early advising and scheduling on freshman success: Journal of College Student Development Vol 30(4) Jul 1989, 309-312.
This is an active area for the production of dissertations. There are so many that they are listed seperately. See College dropouts - Dissertations