Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Biological: Behavioural genetics · Evolutionary psychology · Neuroanatomy · Neurochemistry · Neuroendocrinology · Neuroscience · Psychoneuroimmunology · Physiological Psychology · Psychopharmacology (Index, Outline)
|Charles S. Zuker|
|Institutions||UC San Diego 1987-2009, Columbia University 2009-present|
|Doctoral advisor||Harvey Lodish|
Education and trainingEdit
Zuker attended the Universidad Catolica de Valparaiso in Chile, and obtained his Ph.D. from MIT with Harvey Lodish. He did his postdoctoral studies at the University of California, Berkeley with Gerald Rubin.
Danielle Reed studies on the genetics of bitter taste perception led to identification of a critical region of human Chromosome 5p15 whose variation correlated with a person's ability to taste the bitterness of PROP (propylthiouracil). This finding ultimately led to the discovery by Adler and co-workers (including Charles Zuker) of a family of bitter taste receptors (taste receptor) located within this critical region of the chromosome.
Prior to working on mammalian taste, his lab focused on visual signal transduction pathways in Drosophila melanogaster (fruit fly). He is an investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and a senior fellow at the Janelia Farm Research Campus. Zuker is a member of the United States National Academy of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. After more than 20 years at the University of California, San Diego, he began his appointment at Columbia University in 2009.
- Bijal P. Trivedi, "The Finer Points of Taste", "Nature", June 21, 2012.
- Henry Fountain, "How Tongues Taste Carbonation in a Fizzy Beverage", "New York Times", October 19, 2009.
- Melinda Wenner, "Magnifying Taste", "Scientific American", August 2008.
- Burkhard Bilger, "The Search for Sweet", "The New Yorker", May 22, 2006.
- Kenneth Chang, "Data From Genome Project Transforming Biology Research", "New York Times", June 26, 2000.
- Charles Zuker - HHMI bio
- Charles Zuker - Columbia Neuroscience Faculty
- Columbia Biochemistry & Molecular Biophysics Faculty
- Zuker Lab webpage - Columbia University
- Zuker Lab webpage - Janelia Farm Research Campus
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|