Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Charles Spielberger, Ph.D. is a clinical/community psychologist well-known for his development of the State/Trait Anxiety Inventory.
Spielberger is a former president of the American Psychological Association. He currently belongs to a think tank at the University of South Florida in Tampa, Florida and was formerly Chairman of the Psychology Department there.
In 1972, as in coming president of the Southeastern Psychological Association (SEPA) he appointed the first SEPA Task Force on the Status of Women, chaired by Ellen Kimmel.
State Trait Anxiety InventoryEdit
Spielberger, like Raymond Cattell and others before him, made the conceptual distinction between chronic or trait anxiety (a general propensity to be anxious) and temporary or state anxiety (a temporary state varying in intensity). To measure these concepts, he developed the State Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI).
Additional work on anxietyEdit
State Trait Anger ScaleEdit
Carrying this concept further, Spielberger distinguished between state and trait anger. State anger is definded as a temporary emotional state while trait anger is a general tendency to react angrily to perceive situations. (Spielberger et al., 1983). Speilberger became a well known authority on anger and its manifestations.
One of his first vocations was as an electronics technician in the U.S. Army (1945-1946). His post secondary education includes a B.S. in chemistry from the GA. Inst. of Technology (1949) and a B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of Iowa.
- ↑ Irving B. Weiner, Donald K. Freedheim. Handbook of Psychology, books.google.com. URL accessed 2008-03-04.
- ↑ The Meaning of Anxiety, Rollo May, 1977, W.W. Norton, p. xvii, xx, 11, 53, 54, 80, 111, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 403, 405, 406, 407, 408, 411, 412, 424
- ↑ Dieter Hackfort, Charles D. Spielberger, Published by Taylor & Francis, 1990 ISBN 1-5603-2143-1, ISBN 9781560321439, 275 pages
- ↑ Correctional Service of Canada - Literature Review on Women's Anger and Other Emotions - State Trait Anger Scale. www.csc-scc.gc.ca. URL accessed on 2008-03-04.
- ↑ Shahid, Sadaf The News - International - Tuesday, March 04, 2008. www.thenews.com.pk. URL accessed on 2008-03-04.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|