Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
In psychiatry, catastrophic schizophrenia or schizocaria is a rare and acute form of schizophrenia leading directly to a severe and unremitting chronic psychosis (the long term occurrence of psychosis) and deterioration of the personality. Catastrophic schizophrenia has "an acute onset and rapid decline into a chronic state without remission".
Eugen Bleuler's son Manfred Bleuler described the elimination of what he called catastrophic schizophrenia by improved hospital care prior to the advent of antipsychotic medications. Catastrophic schizophrenia, which was the prototype for Kraepelin's dementia praecox, was characterized by an acute onset of a severe psychosis, followed with little improvement by a severe chronic psychosis lasting until death.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Robert Jean Campbell, Campbell's Psychiatric Dictionary, 2009, page 872
- ↑ Bleuler, M.; Huber, G.; Gross, Gisela; Schüttler, R., The long-term course of schizophrenic psychoses: The combined results of two research studies, Der Nervenarzt, Vol 47(8), Aug 1976, 477-481..
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Richard P. Bentall, Reconstructing schizophrenia, 1992, page 62
- ↑ Chronic Psychosis.
- ↑ Schizophrenia--treatment, management, and rehabilitation, Alan S. Bellack, 1984, 417 pages
- ↑ Introduction to Manfred Bleuler's "The Offspring of Schizophrenics".
- ↑ Irving B. Weiner, Donald K. Freedheim, George Stricker & Thomas A. Widiger, Handbook of Psychology: Clinical psychology, 2003, page 74
- ↑ George Stein, Greg Wilkinson, Seminars in General Adult Psychiatry, 2007, 835 pages, Page 301
- ↑ Luc Ciompi, Christian Müller: Lebensweg und Alter der Schizophrenen. Eine katamnestische Langzeitstudie bis ins Senium (Life and age of schizophrenics. A longitudinal study catamnestic down to senility). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, NY (USA), 1976
- Luc Ciompi, Christian Müller, Lebensweg und Alter der Schizophrenen. Eine katamnestische Langzeitstudie bis ins Senium (Life and age of schizophrenics. A longitudinal study catamnestic down to senility). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, NY (USA), 1976
- Richard P. Bentall, Reconstructing schizophrenia, 1992
- Alan S. Bellack, Schizophrenia—treatment, management, and rehabilitation, 1984, 417 pages
- Irving B. Weiner, Donald K. Freedheim, George Stricker & Thomas A. Widiger, Handbook of Psychology: Clinical psychology, 2003
- Modification of long-term schizophrenia by somato-therapeutic measures.
- "Difficult to place" psychiatric patients.
- New Perspectives in Chronic Psychosis.
- Ten-Year Follow-up of Drug Abusers With Acute or Chronic Psychosis.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|