Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Levine is author of Commonsense Rebellion: Taking Back Your Life from Drugs, Shrinks, Corporations and a World Gone Crazy (New York-London: Continuum, 2003), a protest book. The 26 alphabetically ordered chapters of Commonsense Rebellion detail Levine's contention that the high national rates of mental illness in the United States are really just natural reactions (e.g., discontent and disconnectedness) to the oppression of what he terms an "institutional society," which he argues causes many to break down psychologically. An earlier edition was released in 2001 with the subtitle 'Debunking Psychiatry, Confronting Society — An A to Z Guide to Rehumanizing Our Lives'.
Dr. Levine is a member of MindFreedom International, and on the Advisory Council of the International Center for the Study of Psychiatry and Psychology (ICSPP).
"More than one journalist has uncovered corrupt connections between the Bush Family, psychiatry, and Eli Lilly & Company, the giant pharmaceutical corporation."  (May, 2004)
"One of the greatest marketing feats of the past 20 years is use of pharmaceutical companies' dollars to convince the mass media that psychiatrists who prescribe these companies' drugs are basing their treatment on anything resembling science."
"The problem is that what ends up happening in a pharmaceutical-dominated industry is that as soon as you medicalize [a condition], it becomes something to drug. So, for example, in 1999, Zoloft was officially declared as treatment for PTSD." (October, 2001)
- DepressionIsAChoice.com - 'A history of failure: Author and psychologist Bruce Levine pummels psychiatry, psychotropic drugs and the role both may have played in the case of Andrea Yates', Amy Benfer (July 11, 2001)
- LiP Magazine - 'Mad, Mad Nation: Mental Illness and the Drugging of Rebellious Tendencies', Silja J. A. Talvi (Interview of Bruce Levine, October 29, 2001)
- RadPsyNet.org - 'A review of Commonsense Rebellion', Mel Starkman
- ZMag.org - 'Psychiatric Medications, Illicit Drugs, & Alcohol', Bruce Levine
- ZMag.org - 'Eli Lilly, Zyprexa, and the Bush Family: the Diseasing of our Malaise', Bruce Levine (May, 2004)
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|