Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Biological: Behavioural genetics · Evolutionary psychology · Neuroanatomy · Neurochemistry · Neuroendocrinology · Neuroscience · Psychoneuroimmunology · Physiological Psychology · Psychopharmacology (Index, Outline)
The Brain Mapping Foundation was established in 2004 by a neuroscientist, Babak Kateb, in order to advance cross pollination of ideas across physical sciences into biological sciences/neuroscience. The organization provides funding to the members of the Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (SBMT). One of the main focus of the foundation is to further establish and fund the National Center for NanoBioElectronics (NCNBE) in order to rapidly integrate nanotechnology, devices, imaging, cellular and stem cell therapy. The organization has played a significant role in President Obama's BRAIN initiative.
Definition of brain mappingEdit
The study of the anatomy and function of the brain and spinal cord through the use of imaging (including intra-operative, Microscopic, Endoscopic and Multi-Modality imaging), Immunohistochemistry, Molecular & optogenetics, Stem cell and Cellular Biology, Engineering (material, electrical and biomedical), Neurophysiology and Nanotechnology (See Brain Mapping for more information).
Brain Mapping Foundation (BMF) is a non-profit 501c3 charitable organization, which is established for the purpose of facilitating multidisciplinary brain and spinal cord research and expediting integration of cutting-edge technologies into the field of neuroscience. BMF is focused on translating state-of-the-art technologies from NASA, DOD and industry into neurosurgery/neuroscience in order to bring the most advanced medicine to wounded warriors and civilians with neurological disorders.
Currently the organization is focused on establishing Global Alliance for Nano-Bio-Electronics through its National Center for NanoBioElectronic and has shaped policies in the field of Nanoneuroscience and Nanoneurosurgery. In this regard, the foundation has established significant ties with international partners and plans to launch a global consortium in Neuroscience with a specific aim of integrating nanotechnology, device, imaging and cellular therapy. BMF has signed a formal consortium agreement with Dr. Charlie Teo's Cure For Life Foundation in Australia, which is focused on eradicating brain cancers. NCNBE has also launched a graduate training program in NanoBioElectronic, which will be offering a doctoral degree in NanoBioElectronics.
BMF has been a major supporter of the Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (SBMT) annual meetings and its publications. The Foundation supported series of special issue publications with NeuroImage, in which members of the Society published their findings. The articles these publications were discontinued when the Society decided to establish an open-access Journal with PloSOne entitled ″NeuroMapping & Therapeutics″. BMF also played a major role in publishing the first Textbook of Nanoneuroscience and Nanoneurosurgery.
The foundation funds multidisciplinary translation research such as:
- Galaxy-Exploring Camera to Be Used in the Operating Room
- JPL Nanotubes Help Advance Brain Tumor Research
- NASA's Electronic Nose May Provide Neurosurgeons with A New Weapon Against Brain Cancer 
- X Marks the Spot; Infrared Technology used for intraoperative Mapping of the Human Brain Tumors
Brain Mapping Day at the US CongressEdit
Brain Mapping Foundation in collaboration with the Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (SBMT), hold the Brain Mapping Days at the US Congress and Canadian Parliament to educate policymakers about the state-of-the-art research in neuroscience. More information about the Brain Mapping Days can be found at http://www.worldbrainmapping.org/brain-mapping-day and http://www.worldbrainmapping.org/brain-research-day.Template:Full
Brain Mapping Foundation and the Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (SBMT) have established a relationship to identify the most important scientific and clinical contributions to the field, and recognize them with the prestigious “Pioneer” awards. The awards are presented in partnership with SBMT, industry leaders and other foundations to highlight the significant work done by scientists, industry leaders, individuals, and policymakers.
Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords is the only award recipient who has been recognized twice by the Society and the Foundation for her courage and dedication toward raising awareness for neurotrauma as well as her role in healthcare reform; she was awarded a Beacon of courage and dedication and Pioneer in healthcare policy award by the Foundation and the Society.
Global Physicians and Scientists (GPS)Edit
GPS is a humanitarian program, which is focused on mobilizing physicians, scientists and surgeons to serve for few weeks in the poor and rural areas of the United States and abroad. This program collaborates with industry and government officials and uses the national and international SBMT centers as bases of operations. The program is designed to help alleviate healthcare disparities by bringing world class physicians to poor areas, and to help improve local economies through micro and neuro economics.
- ↑ Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (April 12, 2013). Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (SBMT) announce the formation of American Board of Brain Mapping, its 2013 award recipients and its Brain Mapping Day at the US Congress. Press release.
- ↑ (2013). $350 million in new funding for brain research. Nature Biotechnology 31 (6): 480.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 (2011). Nanoplatforms for constructing new approaches to cancer treatment, imaging, and drug delivery: What should be the policy?. NeuroImage 54 (Suppl 1): S106–24.
- ↑ http://www0.health.nsw.gov.au/news/2013/20130511_00.htmlTemplate:Full
- ↑ http://www.cureforlife.org.au/media_release_dr_charlie_teo_takes_plan_for_ten_year_cure_to_washington_dc/Template:Full
- ↑ http://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/health/mapping-human-brainTemplate:Full
- ↑ (2012). Functional MRI using robotic MRI compatible devices for monitoring rehabilitation from chronic stroke in the molecular medicine era (Review). International Journal of Molecular Medicine.
- ↑ http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/10538119/54/supp/S1Template:Full
- ↑ http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/10538119/47/supp/S2Template:Full
- ↑ http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/10538119/37/supp/S1Template:Full
- ↑ http://blogs.plos.org/everyone/2012/06/27/plos-one-launches-the-neuromapping-therapeutics-collection/Template:Full
- ↑ Babak Kateb, John D. Heiss. The Textbook of Nanoneuroscience and Nanoneurosurgery. CRC Press. 2013. 41 chapters. 602 pages. ISBN 9781439849415Template:Pn
- ↑ (2010) "Multi-walled Carbon Nanotube (MWCNT) Synthesis, Preparation, Labeling, and Functionalization" Immunotherapy of Cancer, 307–17.
- ↑ (2009). Sniffing out cancer using the JPL electronic nose: A pilot study of a novel approach to detection and differentiation of brain cancer. NeuroImage 47: T5–9.
- ↑ http://www.ndtv.com/article/sci-tech/nasa-s-e-nose-to-fight-brain-cancer-study-2762Template:Full
- ↑ http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/01/nasa_enose_cancer_snifferTemplate:Full
- ↑ http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/02/nasas-new-e-nose-can-detect-scent-of-cancerous-brain-cells/Template:Full
- ↑ http://www.everydayhealth.com/sanjay-gupta/why-brain-mapping-matters.aspxTemplate:Full
- ↑ http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090430065456.htmTemplate:Full
- ↑ http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/41467Template:Full
- ↑ (2009). Infrared thermal imaging: A review of the literature and case report. NeuroImage 47: T154–62.
- ↑ http://www.elsevier.com/about/press-releases/health-sciences/elsevier-and-brain-mapping-foundation-co-host-6th-annual-world-congress-of-ibmisps-on-brain-mapping-and-image-guided-therapyTemplate:Full
- ↑ http://worldbrainmapping.org/previousTemplate:Full
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/About-Us/News/News-Releases-2013/Neurosurgery-chair-invited-to-speak-at-Caucus.aspxTemplate:Full
- ↑ http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=80&ArticleID=65134Template:Full
- ↑ Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (March 16, 2012). Top Scientists from US, Canada, and Australia, Member of the Canadian Parliament and Stryker Executive to be Honored by the Society of Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (SBMT). Press release.
- ↑ http://www.army.mil/article/81652Template:Full
- ↑ http://www.wafb.com/story/14313763/medical-group-to-honor-rep-giffords-with-awardTemplate:Full
- ↑ http://azjewishpost.com/2011/brain-mapping-society-to-honor-giffords/Template:Full