Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Current first-person accounts on this subject include
- Detour: My Bipolar Road Trip in 4-D by Lizzie Simon. 2002. "Scopes out bipolar disorder from the viewpoint of someone who is young, hip and vulnerable." - Peter Kramer M.D. (Simon and Schuster, New York 2002) 2003 reprint: ISBN 0743446607
- Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania by Andy Behrman. 2002. An excellent and visceral account of the excesses of mania. (Random House, Inc., 2002) Random House Trade Paperback, 2003. ISBN 0812967089.
For the perspective of a parent of children with bipolar disorder, see
- Acquainted with the Night, a memoir of raising children with depression and bipolar disorder, by Paul Raeburn, 2004. “An outstanding guide to the experience and treatment of bipolar illness in children” – Kay Redfield Jamison, author of An Unquiet Mind.
Classic works on this subject include
- Manic-depressive insanity and paranoia by Emil Kraepelin., 1921. ISBN 0405074417 (English translation of the original German from the earlier Eighth Edition of Kraepelin's textbook - now outdated, but a work of major historical importance).
- Manic-Depressive Illness by Frederick K. Goodwin and Kay Redfield Jamison. ISBN 0195039343 (The standard, very lengthy, medical reference on bipolar disorder.)
- Touched With Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament by Kay Redfield Jamison (The Free Press: Macmillian, Inc., New York, 1993) 1996 reprint: ISBN 068483183X
- An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison (Knopf, New York, 1995) (An excellent autobiographical work about what it's like to have bipolar disorder, by the woman who is also one of the medical world's experts on it.) ISBN 0330346512
- Mind Over Mood: Cognitive Treatment Therapy Manual for Clients by Christine Padesky, Dennis Greenberger. ISBN 0898621283
- Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families by Francis Mondimore M.D., 1999. ISBN 0801861179 (A detailed in-depth book covering all aspects of bipolar disorder: history, causes, treatments, etc.)
- The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know by David J. Miklowitz Ph.D., 2002. ISBN 1572305258 (An excellent practical guide on managing bipolar disorder)