Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Bias disorder, also known as extreme bias disorder, is a mental condition not yet fully accepted by the mental health/science community. However, it is currently being considered to be added to the official list of actual mental disorders: the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders [DSM-TR IV].
Short of being a mental disorder, discussion also suggests that a bias disorder may explain the propensity of some individuals toward violence and the view that war is the only available solution to personal emotional disquiet. Credence for this point of view is strengthened by the current lack of a means of clearly delineating those with obvious extreme bias disorder from those who merely tend to see violent solutions and "evils" of other people as the cause of all their problems.
- DSM-TR IV: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Association, 2000, ISBN 0890420254
- Lyons, Declan; O’Malley, Art (2002), "The Labeling of Dissent—Politics and Psychiatry Behind the Great Wall", Psychiatric Bulletin 26: 443-44
- Radke, Bill (January 7, 2006), "Hate Disorder", Weekend America, http://weekendamerica.publicradio.org/programs/index_20060107.html radio interview with Dr. Edward Dunbar.
- Vedantam, Shankar (December 10, 2005), "Psychiatry Ponders Whether Extreme Bias Can Be an Illness", Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/09/AR2005120901938.html
- Pies, Ronald (May 1, 2007), "Is Bigotry a Mental Illness?", Psychiatric Times 24 (6), http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199202755
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|