Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Biological: Behavioural genetics · Evolutionary psychology · Neuroanatomy · Neurochemistry · Neuroendocrinology · Neuroscience · Psychoneuroimmunology · Physiological Psychology · Psychopharmacology (Index, Outline)
|Gray's||subject #149 585|
|Deep muscles of the chest and front of the arm, with the boundaries of the axilla.|
The contents of the axilla include the axillary vein and artery, as well as the brachial plexus, lymph nodes and fat. Axilla is the space between the side of the thorax and the upper arm. It is one of the sites on the human body of apocrine sweat glands which produce pheromones
The term "underarm" typically refers to the outer surface of the axilla. However, the terms are sometimes used interchangeably in casual contexts. Colloquially, armpit refers to an object or place which is smelly, greasy, hairy or otherwise undesirable.
- Main article: Underarm hair
Underarm hair usually grows in the underarms of both females and males, beginning in adolescence. In modern Western culture, it is common for women to remove underarm hair for aesthetic reasons. As underarm hair grows quickly, shaving must be performed frequently, or else stubble will appear in the axilla.
Throughout the feminist movement, previously in the hippie culture, and in some areas of the punk rock scene, some women choose to keep their underarm hair for a variety of reasons, from subversion to egalitarianism to comfort. Conversely, some men choose to remove their underarm hair for similar aesthetic reasons or to reduce friction in some sports, such as swimming.
- The axilla is one of the four sites (the other three being the mouth, rectum, and ear canal) in which a medical thermometer may be inserted in order to measure body temperature.
- The underarms are among the locations in the human body which are most vulnerable to tickling.
- The sexual attraction to the underarms is called axillism and/or also called as Armpit Fetish.
|Anatomy of the axilla|
- Step by step Video dissection of the Human Axilla showing all relevant anatomy
- 3D animated overview of axillary anatomy (rich media)
- Dictionary at eMedicine axilla
- Norman/Georgetown lesson3axilla
- Norman/Georgetown lesson3axillarywalls
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|