Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
- Anorexia nervosa: Incidence
- Anorexia nervosa: Prevalence
- Anorexia nervosa: Morbidity
- Anorexia nervosa: Mortality
- Anorexia nervosa: Racial distribution
- Anorexia nervosa: Age distribution
- Anorexia nervosa: Sex distribution
Incidence, prevalence and demographics Edit
The majority of research into the incidence and prevalence of anorexia has been done in Western industrialised countries, so results are generally not applicable outside these areas. However, recent reviews  of studies on the epidemiology of anorexia have suggested an incidence of between 8 and 13 cases per 100,000 persons per year and an average prevalence of 0.3% using strict criteria for diagnosis. These studies also confirm the view that the condition largely affects young adolescent females, with females aged between 15 and 19 making up 40% of all cases. Furthermore, the majority of cases are unlikely to be in contact with mental health services. As a whole, about 90% of people with anorexia will be female.
- ↑ Bulik CM, Reba L, Siega-Riz AM, Reichborn-Kjennerud T. (2005) Anorexia nervosa: definition, epidemiology, and cycle of risk. Int J Eat Disord, 37 Suppl, S2-9. PMID 15852310.
- ↑ Hoek HW. (2006) Incidence, prevalence and mortality of anorexia nervosa and other eating disorders. Curr Opin Psychiatry., 19 (4), 389-94. PMID 16721169.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|