Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Amplification is to amplify physical symptoms based on psychological factors such as anxiety or depression: "somatosensory amplification refers to the tendency to experience somatic sensation as intense, noxious, and disturbing. What may be a minor 'twinge' or mild 'sorenes' to the stoic, is a severe, consuming pain to the amplifier."
Amplification is not recognized by the American Psychiatric Association.
- Sudden loud noises really disturb me
- I'm very uncomfortable when I'm in a place that is too hot or too cold
- I can't stand pain as well as most people can
- I find I'm often aware of various things happening in my body
- I'm quick to sense the hunger contractions in my stomach
Amplification is related to alexithymia. Amplification may also contribute to multiple-drug intolerance (if the adverse effects that are reported are non-specific). It is unclear whether amplification is related to observations that Type A personality trait may be associated with delayed recovery after organic illness.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Barsky AJ, Goodson JD, Lane RS, Cleary PD (1988). The amplification of somatic symptoms. Psychosomatic medicine 50 (5): 510-9.
- ↑ IMBODEN JB, CANTER A, CLUFF LE (1961). Convalescence from influenza. A study of the psychological and clinical determinants. Arch. Intern. Med. 108: 393-9.
- ↑ Lane RS, Barsky AJ, Goodson JD (1988). Discomfort and disability in upper respiratory tract infection. Journal of general internal medicine : official journal of the Society for Research and Education in Primary Care Internal Medicine 3 (6): 540-6.
- ↑ Thabane M, Kottachchi DT, Marshall JK (2007). Systematic review and meta-analysis: the incidence and prognosis of post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment. Pharmacol. Ther. 26 (4): 535-44.
- ↑ Mallen CD, Peat G, Thomas E, Dunn KM, Croft PR (2007). Prognostic factors for musculoskeletal pain in primary care: a systematic review. The British journal of general practice : the journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners 57 (541): 655-61.
- ↑ Davies SJ, Jackson PR, Ramsay LE, Ghahramani P (2003). Drug intolerance due to nonspecific adverse effects related to psychiatric morbidity in hypertensive patients. Arch. Intern. Med. 163 (5): 592-600.
- ↑ Jenkins CD, Jono RT, Stanton BA (1996). Predicting completeness of symptom relief after major heart surgery. Behavioral medicine (Washington, D.C.) 22 (2): 45-57.
- ↑ Fields KB, Delaney M, Hinkle JS (1990). A prospective study of type A behavior and running injuries. The Journal of family practice 30 (4): 425-9.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|