Wilson Allen Wallis (November 5, 1912 in Philadelphia – October 12, 1998 in Rochester, New York) was an American economist and statistician best known for serving as president of the University of Rochester. The Kruskal–Wallis one-way analysis of variance is named after him and William Kruskal.
He attended the University of Minnesota, Class of 1932, where he was a member of the Chi Phi Fraternity. After a year of graduate work at the University of Minnesota, he began studies at the University of Chicago in 1933.
In 1936–37, he served as an economist and statistician for the National Resources Committee. During World War II, Wallis was the director of research of the U.S. Office of Scientific Research and Development's Statistical Research Group (1942–46); he recruited a team of bright young economists, including Milton Friedman, to the Statistical Research Group.
Wallis served as dean of the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business]] from 1956 to 1962. During his time as dean he established the "Chicago Approach to Business Education," which involved the application of statistical methodology to business.
- Wallis, W. Allen; Moore, Geoffrey H. (1941), A Significance Test for Time Series and Other Ordered Observations., New York: National Bureau of Economic Research, OCLC 1876032
- Wallis, W. Allen; Churchill Eisenhart, Millard W Hastay (1947), Selected Techniques of Statistical Analysis for Scientific and Industrial Research and Production and Management Engineering, New York: McGraw-Hill, OCLC 490341075
- Wallis, W. Allen; Harry V. Roberts (1956), Statistics, a New Approach, Glencoe, Illinois: Free Press, OCLC 839651, http://www.archive.org/details/StatisticsANewApproach, retrieved on 2009-12-30
- Wallis, W. Allen; James Tobin (1968), Welfare Programs: An Economic Appraisal, Washington, D.C.: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, OCLC 21672
- Wallis, W. Allen (1969), Abolish the Draft, Washington, D.C.: National Council to Repeal the Draft, OCLC 45712869
- Wallis, W. Allen (1976), An Overgoverned Society, New York: Free Press, ISBN 9780029337103, OCLC 2352513
- ↑ "W. Allen Wallis, 85, Economist And President of U. of Rochester", The New York Times (New York): A21, 1998-10-14, ISSN 0362-4331, http://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/14/us/w-allen-wallis-85-economist-and-president-of-u-of-rochester.html, retrieved on 2009-12-30
- ↑ "Retired UR president Wallis dies", Democrat and Chronicle (Rochester, New York): 1B, 1998-10-13, ISSN 1088-5153
- W. Allen Wallis Institute of Political Economy website
- Records of W. Allen Wallis, Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|