Individual differences |
Methods | Statistics | Clinical | Educational | Industrial | Professional items | World psychology |
Action research is a method for intentional learning from experience, originally formulated by social psychologist Kurt Lewin.
"Action Research" is characterised by intervention in real world systems followed by close scrutiny of the effects. Its aim is to improve practice and it is typically conducted by a combined team of practitioners and researchers. The action research cycle: Data Collection > Evaluation > Action > Critical Reflection > Data Collection > Evaluation...
It is also related to the Participatory Action Research (PAR) method.
Key texts – BooksEdit
- Anderson, E. (1990). Streetwise: Race, class, and change in an urban community. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Reason, P & Bradbury H (2004).The Abridged Handbook of Action Research: Student Edition. Sage Publications.ISBN 1412920302
- Schorr, L. B. & Schorr, D. (1988). Within our reach: Breaking the cycle of disadvantage. New York: Doubleday.
- Tharp, R. G., & Gallimore, R. (l988). Rousing minds to life: Teaching and learning in social context. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Peter Reason and Hilary Bradbury
Additional material – BooksEdit
Key texts – PapersEdit
- Elias, M. J. (1994). Capturing excellence in applied settings: A participant conceptualizer and praxis explicator role for community psychologists. American Journal of Community Psychology, 22, 293-318.
- Garbarino, J. (1992). Children and families in the social environment. 2nd Ed. New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Jason, L. (1991). Participating in social change: A fundamental value for our discipline. American Journal of Community Psychology, 19, 1-16.
- Shinn, M. (1992). Homelessness: What is a psychologist to do? American Journal of Community Psychology, 20, 1-24.
Additional material - PapersEdit
- CARN Collaborative Action Research Network
- Action Research Resources from the Southern Cross University
- Action Research by Martin Ryder at the University of Colorado at Denver (School of Education)
- Teacher action research from Edchange.
- PARnet.org One of the oldest websites dedicated to the action research community sponsored by the Cornell Participatory Action Research Network. Includes the PARchives, a field repository and bibliographic database.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|