Ability is a conceptually broad term referring to possession of the talents and skills necessary to perform a current task. This assumes therefore that any learning or developmental process necessary has already been attained.
Ability may be:
- Skills are a backward looking description. Skills describe what a person has learned to do in the past.
- Abilities are a present description. Abilities describe what a person can do now.
- Aptitudes are a forward looking description. Aptitudes describe what a person has the ability to do in the future. They describe what a person can learn to do.
Other related concepts are:
- Main article: Intelligence and ability
Intelligence tests generally measure ability but can sometimes be used to predict aptitude for future learning.
- Academic aptitude
- Cognitive ability
- Learning ability
- Reading ability
- Reading skills
- Idiot savants
Social and communication abilities
- Ability grouping in education settings
- Achievement potential
- Differential Model of Giftedness and Talent